newbie: configuring cisco 2651XM

1) I'm looking for the config guide for 2651XM. I found a couple of cisco docs using google but they were generic and not specific to this router. I also logged in to cisco support but the site said I didn't have authorisation for the file. Maybe someone has the pdf ?

2) I managed (once) to log into the 2651 and got the home page where I saw a link that said: 'QoS Device Manager - Configure and monitor QoS through the web interface', so I click on QoS Device Manager but I then got 'The page cannot be displayed'. I've tried logging in and out a few times and switching the unit off and on etc but I can't get the web interface. Would the wrong username and password cause this error? I've been using Cisco and cisco.

3) I then used the cli to reset the unit back to factory defaults and I set up both FastEthernet0/0 and 0/1 port with an IP addresses on the same subnet as my existing one, but the computer can't now see the 2651 on the network, yet the cli shows the addresses are there. When I first start the 2651 the lights either side of the RJ45 port are green for about 3 mins and then they go off. Am I supposed to use some kind of special cable? I have a patch cable connecting the 2651 to my network hub, my PC can see all the devices on the network but not the 2651. Do you think this router could be faulty? Without a manual I'm fumbling around in the dark a bit so thanks if anyone can shed some light.
Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

Note, almost all models of cisco routers are configured the same. Having a guide for x model router is the same as having a guide for y model router. The things that change are the interfaces, how to configure the specifics of the interfaces, etc.

The basics for a 800 is the same as for the BFRs, is the same as...

Here's an intro guide for routers around this one.

formatting link
If you read docs on cisco, you'll notice they are organized around topics of a specific feature, not specific hardware platform because the platforms are all the same, you only have to worry about what works with what for the platforms..

I'm not sure what you saw? Maybe you have a partial and bad load of SDM on the router? Or its predecessor? Most 2651s probably never ever had SDM on them, maybe some near the end of the line came that way out of the factory. Or maybe the previous owner had put it on there?

Probably best to obtain SDM seperately if you want to use it. It can run from your workstation. SDM is barely used by anybody using a cisco router, it doesn't work that well anyway.

How did you get both interfaces with IPs in the same subnet? It should have complained and blocked you from doing it?

No special cables needed, ethernet cabling is bog standard.

Its possible the hardware is bad, but could be the config too. Maybe the ports are in the default shutdown mode?

cisco.com has a gazillion docs online that are all relevent, you should have to read them. Anything intro level or basic will be totally open. There's also a gazillion basic how-to-configure-cisco-router books in the bookstores too, although cisco has the same stuff on their site, you just have to find it there. :(

formatting link
is a good jumping off point.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks for your response Doug. The first thing I'll address is your reference to default shutdown on the ports. That makes sense. I suppose I'll have to configure that in the cli....somewhere. I'm also unfamiliar with SDM so I'll have to look that up as well. The previous owner did say he would pre-configure the 2651 with SDM configuration software for me so I expect it has it on (unless my reset actions have wiped it). The previous owner very kindly supplied a CD with the device that has lots of stuff on it so hopefully I might have the software necessary to restore it.

Reply to
tg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.