Netgear ProSafe FVS318 VPN Firewall

We have replaced our DLink DI-808HV VPN router with a Netgear ProSafe FVS318 VPN firewall.

With the DLink, we were able to make use of the "PPTP Server" function to set up our VPN tunnels for connecting our satellite offices to the main office. It worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, the DLink died earlier this week. We have replaced it with the aforementioned Netgear VFS318 VPN Firewall. Unfortunately, as of yet, I am unable to connect to any of the VPN connections I have defined on the Netgear, using the VPN wizard in the web-based setup.

According to the box, I am led to believe you cannot access the VPN connections created on the Netgear router without their ProSafe VPN client software, for which there is, of course, an additional cost.

Is the ProSafe client software actually required to use the VPN features of this router? Or is it possible to set up VPN connections in Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 that will connect to this router?

We're running a mixture of Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro (our satellite offices are behind Linksys and Dlink routers and dynamic IP addresses). One desktop in each satellite office is running Windows

2000 Pro. All laptops we use are running XP Pro. All desktops in the main office are running XP Pro. Our terminal server is running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Our main office (with a static IP address) is behind the aforementioned Netgear router.

Any suggestions? Any how-to guides I can follow? I've printed out and read portions of the manual for the Netgear router, but it is written from the point of view of using the ProSafe client. Can what I'm talking about doing be done with this router?

Thanks for any assistance.

-=> Carroll McAllister

Reply to
Carroll McAllister
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Simon

Evidently not, from what I've seen. I've downloaded and installed the Draytek "Smart VPN" client, but have yet to get it to connect. In looking through the log on the router, it shows an attempt to connect, which fails either because of "lack of IKE proposal" or the one I just saw in the log: "[Access Policy not found, dropping packet Src 31178 Dst 1026 from WAN]"

I've got to go through the manual and see what I'm missing. Evidently, the request to connect to the router from the WAN is coming in, but the connection is failing.

Reply to
Carroll McAllister

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.