Name resolution over lan to lan VPN

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help with an issue i have in sharing 3 databases over VPN. i have three offices each with 2-6 workstations all running XP Pro SP2, they are all connected using draytek 2600plus adsl routers and seem to be fine most of the time but every so often one of the databases cannot be accessed by the other two locations, although the other two can still be accessed by the disfunctional computer. it can vary which network the issue resides on. in order to deal with this i edited the host files on all the computers and manually set the ips. i have also removed or disabled any firewalls and regardless of which machine goes down i can always ping all the other machines by IP. there are no servers running WINS all three networks are peer to peer and in their workgroups

this has been a head scratcher for sometime and any and all help is appreciated in adavance.

thnx

Reply to
802.11g
Loading thread data ...

Is there a question in there somewhere? You allude to name resolution but don't actually identify anything is wrong with this. Did setting up the hosts file help?

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

Hi, Yes for along time it did seem to fix the issue, to be clear on the issue (i appologise for my lack of transperancy) the database can be accessed intermittently from the other networks and usually the problematic machines can still access the other networks. i know the issue is not a connection related problem as i can still use thr printers cross network. i can ping the ips for each machine successfully but when i attempt to ping the machine names i simply get no response. i am happy to rewrite the hosts and insert them again across the networks but i am primarily wondering if there is something other than host files that can be run locally to help or perhaps changing the configuration to something less adhoc

Reply to
802.11g

"802.11g" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You have several options. First off I'd consider getting of workgroups and going to a single domain model with Windows 2003 server or Windows

2003 Small Business Server. You will have centralized user accounts with active dircectory coupled with Dynamic DNS which will give you name resolution with automatic computer registration/deregistration w/ DNS (hence Dynamic DNS) instead of workgroups. I'd also consider using Terminal Services on your 2003 server as opposed to pulling a DB over a DSL link. In this model you would have a main site where the server and the database reside (preferrably the site w/ the most internet bandwidth and the 2 remote sites would connect via RDP (remote desktop) and have a virtual desktop that looks and feels just like a local desktop environment (after tweaking which does require some know how that can be researched by searching on windows terminal server profiles, etc). In addition with a properly configured profile you can lock down the users desktop so that they can not load additional software, screensavers, etc. The best part about this model is that it is extremely easy to manage and easily expandable. I have clients that started with us that originally had 20 users with desktop PCs and nightmare issues and now have 250 users in a terminal server/Citrix environment and there is no PC management to speak of. Hope this gives you some direction

TD

Reply to
Terry Dalton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.