mssql over VPN

Hello !

I've established VPN connection between home (Windows XP HE) and work network (Windows XP HE). At work I've got software which is working with msde. It's light version of mssql. I don't know too much about vpn and mssql but what I've done:

I've setup alias (cliconfg) at my laptop. In local network it was work fine (I was able to connect with server and use database). It doesn't work via VPN. I can ping computer (by name and IP), check shared files but I can't connect to database. Any solutions or ideas ?

Best regards

Reply to
achipl
Loading thread data ...

MSDE by default doesn't listen on a TCP socket, so you wouldn't be able to connect to it remotely over a VPN?

Its possible to make it do so by editing the registry and putting in some magic values in the right spot as long as you run WinXP. Later OS's try to protect you more..

So, unless you've done the magic, its not going to work?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Not being far along in this area myself would it be possible for him to setup msql to export the data on a timed basis to a local file at work. Import that data into an excel spreadsheet and then vpn into that spreadsheet from home? Just a possible workaround thought. This has been done on IBM AS400's in the past to get data into excel so it may work here as well.

Just a thought.

James

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.