MS PPTP to MS PPTP Server

Seemingly random disconnects. I haven't been able to find a consistent pattern. Sometimes is just disconnects after a minute or so and other times after 10 minutes or so. But I just can't rely on it to stay up. This is from various remote locations. When it is up it works normally, mapping and using drives, etc. I'm looking for ideas... thanks.

W-XP client, W2K3 Server. All up to date with patches/fixes.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

Obvious but have you checked the options for the connection and made sure the idle timout isn't set ? Have you tried running a continous ping across the connection to keep it running ? You could also try the vpn connection across the local lan, if this is stable then it points to an internet/isp issue. simon

Reply to
Simon

Yeah. Although I can't remember what it is now. But... the disconnects don't happen at consistent times. So I don't think that's the problem.

No. I've read of folks that do this. But... if that's what it takes to make MS PPTP work I would choose not to use it anyway. There are other more stable alternatives. But not free :)

Very good idea! I'm doing that now as we speak. However, I have tried this from various wireless locations (which obviously use different ISPs) with about the same results. Anyway, if it works well over the local LAN, I my be even more confused :) [Note: still up after 10+ minutes! - Hmm...]

BTW, I also use the Kerio Winroute firewall with comes with a VPN server and VPN client software. The VPN sulution does not suffer from the disconnects like the MS stuff does. All from the same locations using the same server machine. I don't know.

Of course, the Kerio solution costs $400+ (LOL). I like the product and use it for my own business. But I was hoping that the built-in MS stuff would be a free solution for some of my customers that don't really want to purchase an enterprise class firewall product.

Thanks for your input.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Hi Frank, I have setup windows VPN servers that had 90+ concurrent VPN connections to them. Very rarely would we get dropouts. If we did it was invariably due to the clients dsl connection, the servers were connected via a 34mps E3 that was pretty rock solid. I have had a pptp connection running for days at a time, so in the right environment it's pretty stable. It may be that it's more sensitive to internet issues than the kerio client, how was the test over the lan ? Shame the server isn't SBS2003 as this offers remote web workplace which is so much better than VPN for most applications. simon

Reply to
Simon

Thanks for your input Simon... appreciate it. The test over the LAN was fine. So... I'm gonna have to attribute the flakiness to the dsl connections I was using. To be fair, I only tested it from a couple places. So that's probably it.

I do appreciate knowing that from your experience the built-in W2K3 VPN should be relatively stable over good connections. Thanks!

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.