Justifying a VPN

I need to write a document to justify why we need a vpn at our company, and it seems that I have hit a little bit of writers block. I have come up with a few good reasons, but I feel that I need more to convince my management of the benefits. I need to make a conviencing arguement so that they can and will take it to finance for final approval. So far I have wrote about how it will improve response time when a server is having issues, we can reboot servers remotely, we can upgrade/patch the servers remotely, our desktop support team can help users durning off hours remotely...

Reply to
warewols
Loading thread data ...

It allows employees to access the company network from home, ideal for home workers or those who need to do that bit of extra work out of hours.

Reply to
Simon

Did you mention the improved security for remote access clients and workers?

moncho

Reply to
moncho

As part of the CEO-jerks-off-business proposal of disaster recovery. When people can't get to work because of weather, transit strikes, or religious freaks & unibombers killing people, workers can get some of their work done at home. Simpliest solution is to couple with remote control of their desktops to provide all access without dealing with software and support issues at home. Citrix is a option ($$$) too.

Provide long distance support from far flung consultants improving the worker pool (geography matters less).

(Disaster Recovery is one of the most wasteful proposal in the history of business, next to outsourcing. Everybody screams they need it, nobody will pay for it, everybody claims they are prepared, and the people who actually have a clue how to pull it off get ignored because D.R. Committees are filled with the useless so they can seem productive and important. I am currently involved in a D.R. plan at a major Univ and the thing is devolving into a puppet show so the CIO might be able to claim something is in place. Quite sad. Of course they have trouble runnign the place day to day-so planning for long term disaster is funny. They've been working on a DR plan since 1998. Nothing in place yet. DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.