How do I test (or troubleshoot) VPN server setup?

I have a NETGEAR ProSafe FVS328 router. I am trying to configure it to serve remote clients who wish to connect to my LAN.

I carefully followed the instructions here:

formatting link
I am not at the stage yet of even attempting to install a VPN client software on a PC in order to test the above. I am trying to check/ verify each step and I thought that the first confirmation that something has changed (properly) on my router is that a simple port scan via a web site like
formatting link
would at least reveal port

500 (IKE) as being "unstealthed".

However, the ShieldUp test shows that all ports in my Internet connection are still stealthed.

How do I approach this problem correctly?

Thanks, Alex

P.S. My NETGEAR FVS328 router is connected to the Internet via a Westell 327 DSL modem/router. I "disabled" its router by configuring it to pass "Single Static IP" (aka IP Passthrough) to the FVS328. I hope that this is the right way to go.

Reply to
xp_newbie
Loading thread data ...

OK, by now I at least know that I should not have tested the IKE port using

formatting link
Shields Up
formatting link
tests against the PC that runs it (via the browser), whether behind the router's NAT or connected directly to the Internet. In the case of VPK/IKE there is no PC associated with it, so of course it will report it as stealthed.

I am still interested, though, to know what is the correct way to find out what is exposed to the Internet once I enable VPN serving on my router.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
xp_newbie

I think you need to first of all set your Westel 327 to bridge mode if you are using a static IP. Get the info from your ISP. Most modems have VPN pass through, so once enabled it should allow.

I've set up the Prosafe FVG318 VPN router with a prosafe software client and Westell 327 on the other end.

Fred

xp snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Fred Jumayao

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.