Help! XP using 3DES?

I'm using the pointers on this web page

formatting link
to allow a client to make a VPN connection to me. I'm a newbie to OpenS/WAN, but this page is pretty straightforward.

I've set everything up but get "OAKLEY_DES_CBC is not supported. Attribute OAKLEY_ENCRYPTION_ALGORITHM" when I try to log in.

I understand that Microsoft BrokenWindows(tm) XP often falls back to (or primarily uses??) DES when you try to make a VPN connection. Is there any way to force it to use 3DES instead?

My goal ONLY require the client to go through the "New Network Connection" wizard on his Win2003 server, in order to connect to me... and if I can't reach that goal, I want to get as close as possible. I'm hoping I can get BrokenWindows to use an algorithm stronger than DES, one that OpenS/WAN won't refuse to use. I'll use a third-party VPN client if necessary but would prefer not to.

The computers that need the VPN are the client's Win2k3 server and my laptop running XP Home Edition.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Use the mmc to create the ipsec connection. It supports 3des. The link below is to a linux site, but the XP setup is the same.

formatting link

Reply to
Joe Beasley

I guess I'll try that. That's really not what I was looking for. Non-technical people have to be able to set this up.

Reply to
Steve Sobol

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.