Encapsulation in VPN

I think the poster means that the protocol is not an official standard held by an independent body. That's true, even though it is built around existing standards and is freely available.

I have no doubt that OpenVPN is much easier to configure and work with both for the server and clients. Most of the servers I have configured have been on small, cheap LinkSys routers using OpenWRT, with multiple OpenVPN configurations - an independent OpenVPN network for each network port on the device. Different clients have OpenVPN connections to different servers, and can easily connect to or disconnect from the networks as they require. Each server can have multiple clients for the different VPN networks as needed. Each client can be connected to multiple servers. And both the servers and clients are typically behind at a NAT router. This kind of flexibility is simply impossible with other VPN solutions.

Reply to
David Brown
Loading thread data ...

Cisco, Checkpoint, Draytek, and OpenVPN. Or to put the question more precisely and avoid potential misunderstandings on my part:

What is meant by "interoperates" in "Cisco interoperates with Checkpoint interoperates with Draytek interoperates with OpenVPN"?

In my world, "interoperate" in this context would mean something like "a client from one company can connect to a server of the other company". But clearly, that's not what is meant above since only an OpenVPN client can connect to an OpenVPN server (don't know about the other ones).

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Monnier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.