Directory mapping without VPN

Hi,

I'd like to permanently map a folder on a windows PC to another windows PC, which are both connected to the internet with adsl routers. Is there a way of doing this without setting up a VPN between the 2 locations? I'm thinking of some sort of port forwarding solution, ensuring that both locations have static IPs so I can control security.

Is this possible?

If there's a better place to ask this then please let me know

many thanks

-Rob robatwork at mail dot com

Reply to
Rob S
Loading thread data ...

Most port forwarding setups forward the ports you setup from the wan port (internet) to the lan address of the PC that you specify. I'm not sure I have seen ones that would allow you to tie this down to a specific wan address, those that do would also most likely support a vpn as well. From a security point of view it's risky imo, and also some isps may block the windows networking ports to protect their users from hacking. simon

Reply to
Simon
100% agree with Simon. But, you could try to map without vpn with your DSL routing settings - some ADSL modem can provide such option. Most ADSL modems, for instance D-Link, have a virtual server's feature or maybe it called as DMZ zone=EF=81=8A. This allows you to define a workstation behind DSL modem, which will receive all incoming traffic from Internet without restrictions. Also, look at =E2=80=9Cbridging=E2=80= =9D function at your modem that could be even better in your case.

But, all that is very insecure.

Alex

formatting link

Reply to
Norvik

-Most port forwarding setups forward the ports you setup from the wan

-port (internet) to the lan address of the PC that you specify. I'm not

-sure I have seen ones that would allow you to tie this down to a

-specific wan address, those that do would also most likely support a vpn

-as well.

Take a look at:

formatting link
it's a 3Mb file though. P73 shows WAN users - in this case a range but can just as easily be 1 IP.

As this is tied down to 1 specific IP address, which the person knows is trusted, I don't see how it can be insecure, unless the router firewall doesn't work like it says it does.

That being the case, presumably I'd have to open up lots of ports to handle MS networking, I just don't know which ones!

Any ideas?

thanks

-Rob robatwork at mail dot com

Reply to
Rob S

135 -> 139 and 444 if you really want to. It makes me uneasy though. XP Pro supports one incoming VPN connection, if you are running this then I would use this method. 99% of all broadband routers out there can support the inbound forwarding of tcp 1723 and GRE quite often just bundled as PPTP that would make this a more secure solution, and you could get away with dynamic addresses if the routers support dynamic dns (most do) simon
Reply to
Simon

Good food for thought......will have a play around this, thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.