Cisco+Mac: Operate some apps thru VPN, the others not?

System is Mac OS X 10.4.5, and Cisco Client 4.8

When I'm on line with my customer's VPN, I can't do much else (browse, e-mail) because their internal rules are so restrictive.

Is there a way to operate only some applications through VPN, yet operate everything else (Apple Mail, browsing) outside of VPN? The VPN apps would be Entourage and the Novell client.

Reply to
Tim Murray
Loading thread data ...

I would imagine not. Split tunneling, the ability to route some traffic through the VPN but not other types of traffic, is a feature configured by the VPN endpoint and passed down to the VPN client.

HTH.

Reply to
Scott Lowe

Just a few minutes ago, seriously, I found that the Cisco client has a check box "Allow Local LAN Access", and when it's enabled, it works: the two things I need for VPN, Novell and Entourage, work fine via the corporate network, yet Mail and browsing work as well.

I have no idea how the apps know which to use -- VPN or local LAN -- but they do.

Reply to
Tim Murray

Excellent news--I had been holding off installing the Cisco client on my own PowerBook running Mac OS X 10.4.5, but I may have to try it now.

Reply to
Scott Lowe

But wait a bit longer. Take a look at the info for the latest 10.4.6 update, it mentions Apple's VPN working with Cisco servers.

I will try this Tuesday -- I would love to unload the Cisco client!

Reply to
Tim Murray

I just loaded 10.4.6 last night, as a matter of fact, and I did notice that little blurb. I'd love to hear the results of your testing; if I can avoid installing the Cisco client, that would be preferable.

Reply to
Scott Lowe

Didn't work for me, but I may have the password wrong. Since the Cisco client shows only bullets for the password, I'm relying on memory and I'll have to check into it.

Reply to
Tim Murray

It did not work for me. I got prompted for the password, and as soon as I press Return, it says it couldn't log in. I think the problem may be in that the OS X version requires some form of machine authentication, either a shared secret or a certificate, and the Cisco version does not.

The OS X machine authentication area is a pair of radio buttons, implying one or the other.

Reply to
Tim Murray

Thanks for giving it a try, Tim, and for reporting back your results.

Take care.

Reply to
Scott Lowe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.