Beginner Questions

Hi All,

I am a tech professional who is somewhat new to the world of telecom networking and looking for some general information that will help me in a new role I am looking to move to. I appreciate anyone that can help me answer these general questions:

#1 - If company has built a private network and they say they are using "straight IP". What does that mean to you? Does that mean they are using VPNs to connect different parties together?

#2 - If you are using an IP VPN, does mean there is no layer 2 protocol, in use, when communicating router to router? I was always under the impression that there had to be some layer 2 encapsulation?

#3 - Along the lines of question #2....If are using a T1 line to connect into a IP VPN, does layer 2 exist on the T1 line until you get to the IP VPN or do you also use "straight IP".

#4 - When people talk about VPNs are there different types of VPNs. For example is IPSEC & MPLS two different types of VPNs?

I have tried to research my questions throughout the internet, but I haven't been able to find the above answers or grasp the concepts. I would appreciate anyone that can assist me with the above questions.

Thanks.

Reply to
scadav
Loading thread data ...

"staright IP" is not a well defined term. Most cases where I have heard it used, the person who said it meant that they were running IP only. No IPX, LAT, or other layer 3 protocols.

No, there is always a layer 2 involved. In the case of most VPN's, layer

2 is plain old ethernet.

Ordinarily one would not use a T1 for VPN unless the T1 connection goes to an ISP.

In any case, yes, layer 2 exists on the T1.

Yes. IPSEC and MPLS are two diffent types of VPN's. GRE (aka: PPTP) is another popular type. Strictly speaking, MPLS is not so much a VPN as a routing protocol, usually used with ATM. It can be set up to give the same effect as a VPN.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.