An ode to OpenVPN, and a question

I wanted to get a VPN going on my little Linux-based home network ahead of a forthcoming trip. I first tried to get OpenS/WAN going with no luck whatsoever, and I'm no novice, having previously successfully deployed Kerberos-based single signon and NIS at home. I then tried OpenVPN. Talk about easy! I got a peer-to-peer connection with static keys up within minutes, and soon afterwards had worked up to certificates, 256-bit AES encryption, and the ability to hit the rest of my network beyond the VPN server. I am happy to report that the network worked like a charm on the road with my iBook (and the Tunnelblicken GUI interface) over both hotel broadband, meetingroom wireless, and GPRS. Thanks, OpenVPN!

My question: What, if anything, would a successful IPSec-based VPN have given me beyond OpenVPN's capabilities?

Reply to
Yeechang Lee
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.