accelerating downloads over Cisco VPN (need to download 80 GB over network drive)

About once every six months, I move data from my company's servers to a local 500 GB drive. I need to download about 80 GB from this out-of-state server. The best sustained download rate I am getting is about 425 kbps. The aggregate rate over the past nine days of 250 kbps with restarts after disconnects. At this rate, it will take 30+ days. My connection is extreme fast - repeatedly, I am get 4000 - 5000 kbps

1) Are there any client applications that will improve the speed? I can't alter the server or VPN in any way. Moreover, these files don't exist on an FTP.

2) Do any of these download accelerators help the fundamental transfer speed?

3) Would a download manager help assist for broken downloads? The connections comes down about once ever two days.

Data: Cisco VPN client Cable modem for connectivity

thanks in advance

************* Promote alternative energy
formatting link
Reply to
Nomad
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Not being funny, but for once every 6 months why not send them an external usb hard disk, then get the data copied to that and sent back to you ? A download manager would help with the broken downloads, as far as accelerators are concerned you still have to shift the data, depending what that data is and how compressible that is would be the key to whether it's good for you or not. simon

Reply to
Simon

That would be obviously more efficient. However, much of this information is sensitive. While my intentions are good, that would be very paranoid about my activities.

Reply to
Nomad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.