3005 VPN does not respond on console port

I have a CISCO 3005 VPN Concentrator that came back from a site we shut down. I have no passwords for this device. I am following CISCO's password recovery doc, but I get no response in Hyperterminal from the console port. I do not have the original cable that came with the device, but I am using a standard RS232 cable. I have tried turing flow control off (CISCO states to use hardware) and and that just causes Hyperterminal to lockup. With flow control set to hardware I just get a blinking cursor. Press enter twice and the cursor disappears for a few seconds then comes back. Power cycling the VPN while connected does nothing. Any ideas?

Reply to
this.house.is.freakin.sweet
Loading thread data ...

I'm not the VPN guru here and don't have a copy of the Cisco docs, but have you considered the possibility that the Cisco box is presenting DTE at the async interface rather than DCE? Try a null modem cable and see what happens.

Joe Morris

Reply to
Joe Morris

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. Not real clear what you mean by null modem. I was using a DB-9 to DB-9 cable that came with an HP switch. I also tried a cable set we bought that comes as RJ-45 to RJ-45 with adapters to DB-9 and DB-25 (although the DB-25 doesnt apply here). Its a flat cable similar to the DB-9 to RJ-45 that comes standard with Cisco routers. According to the CISCO docs, it is a "standard" RS-232C cable that plugs from the console port to a PC. This is the purpose of the HP cable, so I dont think it is a DTE/DCE issue, but I cant say that with 100% confidence.

Reply to
Ciscosis

A null modem cable swaps the input and output pins between ends. Typically this involves (from "A" end to "B" end):

DCD (1) --> DTR (4) and also to "A" end DSR (6) Receive (2) --> Transmit (3) Transmit (3) --> Recieve (2) DTR (4) --> DCD (1) and DSR (6) Ground (5) --> Ground (5) DSR (6) --> DTR (4) and also to "A" end DCD (1) RTS (7) --> CTS (8) CTS (8) --> RTS (7) RI (9) not connected

This allows two DTE devices to talk directly to each other.

Documentation has been known to occasionally have errors. OTOH, it might be right, and there isn't a DCE/DTE problem. OTOH, whenever I see an async interface in network server-side equipment I always suspect DCE/DTE problems if the first attempts through a standard cable (with various speed settings checked) fail.

Good luck.

Joe Morris

Reply to
Joe Morris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.