would you recommend Vonage ?

Would you recommend Vonage ?

Hi

We are thinking of installing Vonage ..............$24.99 per month.

I have heard that the sound quality is poor sometimes.

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

Positive, negative ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks Kim

Reply to
kimshapiro100
Loading thread data ...

do a Google search for reviews on Vonage, VoiceWing and CallVantage, all with $24.99 plans. I believe you will find more satisfied customers with the VW and CV service. There are many other VOIP providers with deceptively looking "cheaper" plans, and frustrating growing pains. Check the forums on Broadband Reports.

I've had AT&T's CallVantage for several months and couldn't be happier.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

I've had Vonage for over a year. I'm not thrilled. Personally, I would look into one of the other options (Verizon, AT&T). As long as you have no problems with your account, and you are reasonably technical, you can make Vonage work pretty well. But if you EVER have to call tech support, forget it....

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Adams

If you don't mind some echo, muffled voice and background hiss during silent periods, it's not bad.

Voice traffic enters/leaves the Vonage server as IP. Unfortunately, it may not go directly to the PSTN (traditional voice network) as IP. Vonage may hand it off to an inter-exchange carrier (IEC) like Allstream. Vonage (and you) can't really control the quality through this middle-man.

AT&T Callvantage and cable telephone companies can inject their voice traffic directly into the PSTN without the need for a 3rd party like Allstream. Just compare phone calls made from these service providers to calls made from a Vonage line.

The test I like to use is to place a call to my office voicemail - which is on the PSTN - and leave a long message which includes several periods of silence. I then play the message back from my office phone and check it for the above symptoms.

If you're happy with the results from a service provider like Vonage, go for it.

I decided that VoIP providers that d> Would you recommend Vonage ?

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

I've been a Vonage customer for over 3 years. In the beginning the customer support was bad but it has gotten better. I love the service and have turned several friends onto it. They all like it. I kew people who used Comcast and Optimum voice products and didn't like them. They switched to Vonage and stayed. I don't have any experience with the Verizon or AT&T offerings but those guys were my original motivators to use Vonage so I'm not too interested in going back.

Reply to
Fafa Fofo

I've had it for 3 years. Very good phone service, poor customer service.

I'd recommend it. The savings over my old local/LD bill has essentially paid for a 'free' upgrade from dial-up to cable internet connection.

Reply to
Carlo Coggi

Another point that I forgot to mention is that Vonage was the only provider that provided a basic fax line for $10/mo. Everyone else wants you to pay for a complete 2nd line.

Reply to
Fafa Fofo

I would absolutely recommend Vonage.

I've had AT&T Call vantage before Vonage. The sound quality on both have been excellent, however my experience with AT&T was extremely frustrating. I was promised the world in the sales process and it was nothing but a disaster. It took 3 months for my phone number to port. And then they delayed the port when I left after a couple months to go to Vonage. In my opinion AT&T is the old IBM. Big, beauracratic & unwilling/unable to make quick changes. Vonage on the other hand is a much younger company that might have growing pains, but is going to be quicker at change and correction of any issues that do come up.

..my 2 pennies..

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
jschuck

Well I had the opposite experience with Vonage. If you want to see a disaster subscribe to Vonage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Call quality will have very little to do with Vonage and more to do with your internet connection. You have to keep in mind with any VoIP service that this travels over the same median that seems to randomly crap out when you're checking your email or surfing the web. Depending on how your connection is it will either work great or be a painful experience.

If you get VoIP service from the same provider as your > Would you recommend Vonage ?

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.