wireless router to SIP gateway?

question for the group....

will the new phones that support 802.11 wireless and SIP work with a standard NAT router/wireless access point? i am trying to accomplish:

SIP Phone-->802.11-->AccessPoint/Router-->Modem-->DSL-->ISP-->Public Internet-->SIP Gateway Provider-->POTS-->Grandma's Landline

from what i have read there are some issues with SIP traversal over NAT. QoS issues aside, is their a special SIP enabled router i should be looking at? or can i just open up the SIP ports on a standard router/AP and get this to work?

any help would be appreciated.

best, alex

Reply to
putt454
Loading thread data ...

The new 802.11 phones work through a NAT firewall using a 'STUN' server on the Internet, which is the same process for a non 802.11 device.

e=2Eg. I use 'sipgate.co.uk' to provide my VoIP, they have a stun server you can use in the configuration of your phone. . Depending on the firewall/router you use, you may need to open up the SIP ports UDP/TCP

At home I use an AVM FRITZBox Fon WLAN, which cost me =A3119.00 and is brilliant, it allows me to connect my landline to it, two analigue phones, the Internet ADSL connection etc and loads more, check it out at

formatting link
Basically the same phone rings whether its a landline call or a SIP call, you can set it up so that all calls out go through your SIP provider or the landline, and you can setup rules that say 0870 numbers always use the landline etc,etc...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
rog.davies

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.