VoIP pecularity

I've had this happen with good old fashioned telephones. I believe it was because I didn't cleanly hang the phone up, so the switch received what it thought was a hook flash followed by a hangup. Because of some combination of feature implementation (3-way calling and/or other features), it thought I had started to make a second call and then abandoned that and wanted my original call back.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

I dial someone and get their answering machine; not wanting to leave a message (e.g. it's the wrong number!) I hang up.

My phone rings: I pick it up, a woman's voice says, "I'm sorry, but I didn't hear anything."

The answering machine has called me back! Actually, I think it is the VoIP connection that is trying to re-connect me to what it thinks is a dropped call.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

-- Rick

(ATT CallVantage in Massachusetts)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I agree, I have always had this happen with old school telephones. Even at work when I am listening to my voicemail, if I hang up the phone sometimes it rings again and when I pick it up the voicemail routine is still going.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Apparently you didn't say the magic word...

"anything"

Ok, bad pun aside, where's the VoIP? On your end or the receiver? If it's on your end then how are you making the connection? From an old-school telephone via an ATA or a soft phone on your PC?

I've had it happen plenty of times with POTS handsets. Dunno if there's a cure other than "hanging up the right way". No idea how to do THAT consistently though.

Reply to
wkearney99

I think you're absolutely right! It has happened to me a couple of times, but I think I did inadvertently 'flash' the switch hook!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I've had it happen plenty of times with POTS handsets. Dunno if there's a

Don't "flash" ("place on hold") before hanging up.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.