VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

Just wanted to gather some suggestions for "gotchas" that I may encounter in installing and configuring the following integrated network for a 5 person small office: Single broadband gateway; 1500 kbps DSL CAT-5 wiring - Fast ethernet; 2 outlets for each desk DLink DVG-1402S VOIP router

formatting link
DES-3226L Managed Switch
formatting link
DVX-1000 PBX-in-a-box, 5 user license
formatting link
(4) DLink DPH-140S VOIP Phones
formatting link
(2) MS Win/XP Workstations, (2) network-enabled printers - peer-to-peer configuration PPPoE connection initially (later, static IP address) NAT support for workstations DHCP for address management Lingo VOIP service provider; no PSTN lines except for faxing

I know that DLink has been panned on this forum, but I'd like feedback on my configuration rather than the individual components selected so far. Thanks for any and all suggestions !

Reply to
marksimms
Loading thread data ...

What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

ADSL - 1500 down, 128 up (I know, I know....this could be a problem).

Reply to
marksimms

I would not try your scenario on this speed of line. Your users will (probably) get poor quality and blame voip. Can you get a higher grade of service in this location?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Mark,

Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on their product sheet.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Sorry, I was away all weekend... I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What difference does it make ? Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain on an ethernet broadband connection. Yes, that means the terrible DSL provisioning by Verizon makes SOHO PBX's almost impossible. I've discovered that Comcast's broadband service will go up to 384 kbps uplink speed, but because it is a non-dedicated line, DLink does not recommend it. Bottomline: appears SOHO VOIP-PBX is a marginal proposition until fiber-optic networks become more commonplace.

Reply to
marksimms

That depends on the codec you use (hence Jonathan's question). You may find a handy bandwidth calculator at

formatting link

Of course, apart from the PBX one must make sure that the chosen codec be supported also by the phone or ATA, and by the PSTN termination provider.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Hey Mark,

As Enzo pointed out, the codec used will dictate how much bandwidth each call takes. That was the reason for my question.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Thanks guys..believe it or not, there is absolutely NO MENTION of codec support in either the technical documentation of the DVX-1000 or anywhere on the entire DLink.com website. I have a call into their tech support so I will ask that question. Another issue I have: If a VoSP supports SIP, does that make the authentication for the service a standard method ? I keep wondering if VOIP routers are required or have the latest batch of Linksys and DLink routers been enhanced to support any and all VoSP's ? I know at one point Lingo actually forced users to purchase THEIR DLink DVG-1402S VOIP router because they burnt-in proprietary firmware. So the whole issue of connection and authentication has me confused.

Reply to
marksimms

I think what you're asking depends on the SIP provider and if they 'lock' you to a device (check the useragent string in the SIP packets) and if they provide you their credentials. Basically, if they give you the info (username, password, server URL and possibly a few more bits) and do not require you use their device/program/website, you should be ok. Please let me know if I mis-read your question.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

That's exactly what I discovered. It's best to get a recommendation from the hardware vendors as well....and DLink gave me Lingo and Broadvoice as reliable providers...and one's that can be authenticated with their DVX-1000 which I discovered has a built-in VOIP router. I also discovered that I must get certified to be able to install their VOIP PBX and it's probably a good thing because their current docs are so "lame"....they don't even tell you how to change the WAV file for the "music on hold" feature. This whole investigation has been intriguing and what I discovered is that Verizon is killing the SOHO VOIP PBX market in their ADSL offering...as the uplink speed is too slow to be useable at all. However, interestingly, Comcast's broadband service can provide up to

768kbps bandwidth....and that would mean at least 7 concurrent calls...in theory. However, because Comcast deploys a "shared" network, the actual bandwidth could be about 50% ofthe theoretical. DLink tech support was not too keen at all about considering a cable broadband connection for VOIP PBX ! However, NO ALTERNATIVES exist in many areas as SDSL is very selective, and T1 lines are still at $469/mo at the best price (Covad Networks).
Reply to
marksimms

Regarding the codec support....in talking with DLink tech support (and I figured this out ahead of time), the type of codec is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT if you match the vendor's PBX and their VOIP phones. Codec support only becomes an issue when mixing and matching from multiple vendors. However, I do agree, some codecs are more efficient than others and this is an issue for further investigation.

Reply to
marksimms

Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

No I have not...the client backed-down from the project when the bandwidth issue became a sticking point. He wanted GUARANTEED clarity and reliability with his VOIP PBX. That was impossible without T1. I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....

formatting link
problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it. Also, when you purchase the box and the cards, the price is not much better than the DVX-1000.

Reply to
marksimms

KDE is not bad, but why do you want a resources-hungry GUI for a server application that just requires editing a few ASCII files (basically two) to be configured? Anyway, there are a few web-based frontends or even integrated distributions (such as

formatting link
) that make the GUI issue essentially moot.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Fair enough...an AMD Athlon 64 box can't cost more than $600 "all-in" right ? So what hardware cards, other than an ethernet card (if not on the MB), would one need to make this box a PBX ? Are there any that cards that act like a PSTN bridge ? We'd be considering 5-10 concurrent calls max.

Reply to
marksimms

formatting link
Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone

You might look into Trixbox

formatting link
or Fonality
formatting link

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.