VOIP on Win 95?

Silly question, but will any of the VOIP systems run on Windows 95? I ask because I have a spare old system here that might be used as a dedicated system for that.

Seems Gizmo and Skype start at W2K to XP and Mac X.

I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

DMK

Reply to
D. Kirkpatrick
Loading thread data ...

Use one of the Linux live bootable CDs that don't require installation to the HD if you don't want to erase that old piece of crap (W95) from your machine. I know the Knoppix CD has at least one built in SIP phone (kphone), possibly more, and some of the other CD bootable distributions probably have one as well.

The OS doesn't really indicate the speed of the chip, they're not related. My friend in Brazil had an old bag of crap PC with Win98 on it, I booted up Knoppix and used kphone just fine on it and it was handling the PPPOE connection at the same time as well. So, just try it and find out.

Reply to
B. Wright

Thanks.

URL for that software by any chance? I don't mind wiping the W95 as long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original installer CD's still so I can always go back.

DMK

Reply to
D. Kirkpatrick

formatting link

You won't need to install anythingL Knoppix runs from the CDROM.

Or, even better, if you have a largish USB flashdrive and your PC can boot from "USB FDD", consider Slax:

formatting link
Start from the ISO image of the "KillBill" version
formatting link
), add modules from
formatting link
(directly under Windows with
formatting link
; get KPhone from
formatting link
), burn the USB flashdrive and boot up!

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

D. Kirkpatrick wrote on 30. June 2006:

Knoppix runs from CD. After you shut it down it's completely gone without a trace. Unless you told it to save some configuration to you Windows partition.

You are also free to "install" (it's more copying and starting some setup scripts after that) Knoppix. You can even install it next to Windows. The setup will detect Windows and offer to resize its space and create an empty Linux partition if you want so.

I have it here. But it doesn't come with Skype for example. But you can install Skype (even if you only run from CD, but then after a reboot Skype is gone too). You download the Debian binary (has the extension

*.deb) and save it to your Windows partition. Then after booting from the Knoppix CD and can always "install" it again.

You need at least 128 MB ram if you want to run Knoppix. Though 64 would probably be enough if you don't use the GUI (windows, mouse and stuff). But for a beginner that's not recommended. And Skype and other VOIP programs need a GUI of course.

You will have the feeling that Knoppix is slower than Windows 95. Of course, since it loads every program from the slow CD rom and puts it to your ram memory. If you install it it's much faster. =2D-=20 Andreas PGP Key available on public key servers Mailfilter rules

formatting link

Reply to
Andreas Kohlbach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.