VOIP network config question

I am getting ready to implement a VOIP system in our organization. I have a couple basic issues that I'm not sure I'm understanding properly.

I currently have a basic 10.0.0.0 network. I have 5 sattelite areas (10.0.x.0) routed back to my main network.

I am trying to decide whether to put the IP phones on a seperate subnet from my existing devices here. I am implementing layer 3 PoE switches. I'm assuming the advantages are that all the voice traffic would be on a seperate subnet, and the basic disadvantage would be added complexity in programming/routing my other phone systems.

Phones & PC's would then have sperate connections in each office. Phones go to the PoE switch & subnet, PC's would go back to my other swtich. If I go this route, some of my switches in outer buildings here would have to have devices from two different subnets plugged into the same switch. WIth layer 3 switches I assume this is OK. Any reasons I may not want to or be able to do this.

Is it worth it to seperate these?

Reply to
Kevin_S
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Someone

Yep, good old VLANs would do the trick. Keep in mind most IP Phones have an extra Ethernet port so you wouldn't need a separate drop for the PC's

Reply to
bvlmv

Yeah, I did some reading on vlans. Is there any advantage to running a seperate subnet vs. using vlans?

Our phones will have two ethernet ports, but I guess in the interest of sompletely seperating the traffic, I was planning to use dual cables and seperate subnets (or vlans).

Reply to
Kevin_S

Well by using vlans you are essentially running two separate subnets.

Reply to
bvlmv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.