VoIP access to home phone?

Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software that I can setup on my home server that would allow me to use an IP phone to register with my home server and place calls using my landline? Would this require something as complex as an actual IP PBX platform? Yes, I know you can order Vonage (or similar) service and get a wifi enabled phone, but that's not what I'm asking. ;)

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Moseman
Loading thread data ...

Asterisk can easily do that, coupled to an ATA with an FXO port such as the Linksys SPA-3102 to interface the telephone line (the existing phone can be kept operational by connecting it to the SPA-3102's FXS port).

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Hi,

Mypeople.com

formatting link
has a feature that will allow you to use their VOIP services from any phone.

formatting link
Gopi

Reply to
Gopi

The SPA-3102 can do that on its own. Easier if your IP phone & your SPA are connected to the same VoIPSP

Reply to
Jono

Reply to
Gopi

Yes, but authenticating the user to prevent calls to the PSTN by other unauthorized VoIP callers may prove tricky: the caller ID may be faked, PIN authentication is inconvenient and not so reliable (especially if the VoIPSP only support inband DTMF), and HTTP Digest Authentication may also fail depending on the VoIPSP's proxy.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

How much more secure would Asterisk be, unless callback was employed? I can only think of two methods of authentication - by CLID or PIN (Three if you count both)

Reply to
Jono

You can use SIP's "HTTP Authentication" (also called "WWW authentication": see Section 22 of

formatting link
In practice, with Asterisk you create for your SIP phone (softphone in this case) a "type=user" or (if you want it to receive calls as well as placing them) "type=friend" entry in sip.conf, and associate it to a context in extensions.conf that is not accessible by any unauthenticated device:

[mysoftphone] context=candialout type=friend host=dynamic secret=sphsecret

Of course, you'll have to define an entry also for the "Line1" section of the SPA-3102, which, if you are only interested in placing outgoing calls, might be:

[spa3102l1] type=peer host=dynamic secret=spa3102secret

Then, you place in extensions.conf:

[candialout] exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@spa3102l1) exten => _X.,2,Hangup

...and also configure:

- the SPA-3102 to register as user: spa3102l1, password: spa3102secret

- the softphone to register as user: mysoftphone, password: sphsecret

Now, any incoming call claiming to come from the user "mysoftphone" (with a SIP header "From: mysoftphone@...") will be challenged by Asterisk to authenticate (with HTTP Digest Authentication). Only devices that do it with the password "sphsecret" will trigger the context [candialout] and the execution of the Dial() command; any other will be rejected.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

I played with Skype for a while, and the D-Link DPH-50U adapter allows for that I think, but I never tried it.

Thanks,

Thomas

formatting link
Assume I've got a landline phone at my home. Is there any software that

Reply to
t

For the record, I got this working with Asterisk. I'm able to use a SIP phone from any Internet capable location to connect to my home Asterisk PBX and make calls that go out *from* my landline. Very cool. My only cost was a $15 card to interface my server with the POTS line.

Thanks, Scott

Scott Moseman wrote:

Reply to
Scott Moseman

What card can be had for $15?

Thanks,

Thomas

formatting link
For the record, I got this working with Asterisk. I'm able to use a SIP

Reply to
Thomas

1 line clone cards. Check ebay...
Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.