Time Warner says they can't port #

My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with his cable provider (Time Warner). When he called them, they said he'd have to have a new number, because the local community didn't allow number porting...

He's reluctant because he's had this phone number for ~40 years.

Anyone else heard of this?

Is it possible he could port with another third party VOIP providor (ie Vonage)?

Reply to
sblanky
Loading thread data ...

Pretty common. If he waits 6 mos it may change.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I ported my Sprint # to Packet8 without a problem. After a year with Packet

8 I changed to SunRocket. 6 months later my # has not been ported. None of the providers appear to offer any guarantees on transferring an existing phone #.
Reply to
hdtv?

They only guarantee p;orting CERTAIN numbers - i.e. where they have reached an agreement on the procedure with the "owner" of the numbers - i.e. the company who runs the CO where the numbers live.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

ViaTalk claims to port within 20 business days, and in my case they did it in 10, from Sprint/Embarq. I had my phone number for a much shorter time, but giving it up would have been a major hassle, so I can empathize with your father-in-law. Open a ticket with their tech support to be sure.

Thanks,

Thomas See review at:

formatting link
My father-in-law recently attempt to switch from SBC POTS to VOIP with

Reply to
t

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.