The simplest and cheapest PBX-like device?

I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of "intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power, and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?

Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a thing?

Thanks so much for your kind assistance, my two aunts will appreciate it, too.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

What distance is next to each other? Why not run a telephone cable or use an extended range multihandset wireless telephone?

Reply to
Roy

Ols Avaya 206.

TerryS

>
Reply to
Terry

Ramon,

If you can run a direct wire between them, there are two ways to solve the problem:

1. Construct an intercom circuit and use separate phones
  2. Use "Field" phones like the Army sells surplus

HTH.

William (Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

Reply to
William Warren

Probablhy. Something with handset to base communications. I have a Panasonic with dual handsets, but I've never really tried to communicate handset to handset.

Of course. You probably need to be within 500 feet and need 4 wires to make the really inexpensive Tie 612/616 blue boxes work. Probably $50 and a few buxks shipping could get you a cabinet and 3 phones.

Carl Navarro

>
Reply to
Carl Navarro

A pair of inexpensive FRS radios with PL (tone encoding), maybe even a digital xmit mode.

Reply to
Steven Stone

You can use IP-telephony, a tiny asterisk installation and a few handsets. You may use WiFi to reach the other party.

Another solution is a DECT bridge between two DECT base stations.

Both of these have ranges of a few hundred meters if you install them right.

Use radio if you can.

-- mrr

Reply to
morten reistad

Ramon,

Do not even bother with Asterisk unless you are a total Linux geek!

my suggestion is very simple . If you can get a cable run between the two locations, simply get a Sipura , Linksys or other 2 port ATA used for IP telephony. Make sure it is NOT a model that is locked to a provider

give it a fixed IP address if there is no internet available.

In the case of a single ATA with 2 ports, you can set it up in the dial plan so thart when 1 is dialed for instance the ATA dials

127.0.0.1:5060 and on the other line that when 1 is dialed 127.0.0.1:5061 is dialed. . this way they need only lift the handset and dial 1 This can be m odified for 2 separate devices by modifying the IP addresses.

Alternately, if broadband is available, you can get a dual port ATA and set up two accounts on FreeWorldDialUp.com, or voxalot.com then each will have an extension available worldwide.

Mark

Reply to
Markos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.