Suggestion of Internet Telephony VOIP compatible supplier.

Hi

Can anyone suggest a relaiable supplier that will allow me to use it's services on a pay as you go option for international calls.

The idea is if we a have a user in an hotel with a laptop and a broadband connection rather than use the hotel line at an inflated rate we could use VOIP with the laptop.

We dont want to be paying a monthly bill as it would only be used now and then.

Currently looking at

formatting link
are they any good?

Thanks

Reply to
Jimbo
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
only does outgoing calls, but they seem to work pretty well.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

No idea but

formatting link
offer free UK geographic numbers with no monthly charges and reasonable call charges (1.5p/min to US for example).

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of hotels charge for broadband access in the rooms and this may outweigh the cost of phone calls..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I have tried both Teliax and VoipJet and they are quite OK. They support both SIP and IAX2 protocols.

It's an excellent idea.

Finarea/Betamax services (SIP only, but in addition their support a proprietary protocol for their own softphone) do require a minimum prepayment of 10 euros (= ~USD 12.70 or ~GBP 6.90) plus VAT applicable in the customer's country (16% in UK) over periods of 120 days, but on the other hand they offer 300 free minutes per week (averaged over the last 7 days) for calls to several dozens of countries (mostly, this freebie applies to landlines only) and their tariffs are usually quite good.

In addition, for a few European countries (including UK) they offer incoming numbers free to the customer. In the UK, the caller pays a reasonably low rate, as those numbers start by the area code 056 which, according to BT at

formatting link
billed at "g21" rate, and from what I read at
formatting link
should mean less than 4.89 p/minute in peak hours (including VAT). Should you care,
formatting link
says that the operator for those UK incoming numbers is QiComm Ltd.
formatting link
).

The websites for the best Finarea/Betamax services are:

formatting link
(NOT
formatting link
which offers a worse deal)
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

See also, at

formatting link
, my comparative table of the free destinations (which keep changing, so always double-check with the company websites), plus shell scripts to report the current usage for a given account.

Sorry, never tried this one...

Cheers --

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

sipdiscount.com plainvoip.com

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Thus spaketh Enzo Michelangeli:

If you use a UK address from a major area, such as Birmingham, London, Manchester etc, you will receive a local number, such as 0121, 020, 0161...

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thanks for the info guys more intersted in making calls

Rgds

Jim

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Reply to
Jimbo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.