Sipura 1000

I just bought a Sipura 1000 off eBay, and I'm wondering what the procedure is for configuring it. Can I just plug in an analog phone, pick it up, and punch some numbers in?

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

It needs a SIP server to talk to. You'll either need to find a service provider that lets you bring your own device (BYOD), e.g. Zingotel, or hook up with a service like Skype.

The Sipura has a web > I just bought a Sipura 1000 off eBay, and I'm wondering what the

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Skype doesn't use SIP. However, there are tons of other providers, both paid and free (with the latter you generally can't place calls to the PSTN, i.e. to normal telephones: this is called "PSTN termination" service). Check these out out:

formatting link
As free service, I like:

formatting link
As guide to configuring the SPA-1000 (in the hope that the device you bought is not locked to a specific provider) you may read the manual "ATA User Guide (SPA-1000/1001/2000/2100/3000)" at
formatting link
. Note: it's not for the faint of heart ;-)

Good luck,

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Connetc it to your router, plug a phone in, dial ****, then enter 110# & listen. The SPA will read back its IP address.

Reply to
Jono

Plug it into your router type ARP -A in a DOS window. This will show you the IP address of the Sipura.

I have the SPA-2100 which uses 192.168.10.1.

-Pat

snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Thanks for the help.

I gave the Sipura an IP address and was able to connect to the web interface.

However, when I called the IP of my Sipura from my SJphone softphone program, it said the phone wasn't there. Any ideas how to make a quick test call?

Pat Coghlan wrote:

Reply to
bob

In order for the Sipura to recognize your telephone/softphone, you must create an account for it, and configure the phone accordingly (i.e., with the same user/password -- the password is often also called "secret").

For a beginner, configuring a Sipura device can be a daunting task: I suggest you to start with a base configurtion created by the Web Wizard available form Voxilla.com (and, possibly, refine it later manually). To do that:

- Go to

formatting link
Create an account for yourself, and log in

- Go to

formatting link
Fill in the form to the best of your knowledge, and click on "Configure My SPA".

Cheers --

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

I just want to use it without a SIP proxy server right now, so it doesn't really make sense to have a user id/password/SIP server name.

Does it work without a SIP proxy?

Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

Reply to
bob

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, you can do that, but things can become complicated if SPA and peering softphone lie behind different NAT routers (in that case, a common proxy on the open Internet helps also to work around such NAT issues). On the other hand, it should be fine if both are on the same LAN.

What you want to achieve is called "direct IP-to-IP call". See e.g.

formatting link
(it refers to the two lins of a SPA-2000, but, as the FAQ says, it may be used for two separate SPA -- or a SPA and another SIP client). The important thing in your case is to check "Ans Call w/o Reg".

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.