[SIP] Connections in a nutshell?

Hello

I'm currently setting up Axon PBX on a W2003 server, but would like to know how SIP/RTP works as far as ports are concerned.

When setting up Axon, it requires opening the following UDP ports/range:

5060 5070 8000-8020 (for ten extensions)

I seem to understand that SIP clients that need to register (either local phones, or road warrior with a hard/softphone) do this by connecting to UDP 5060.

OTOH, I don't know what 5070 is for, and how things work for RTP with

8000-8020: If RTP connections are peer-to-peer, ie. phone to phone, why does the PBX need to open up ports?

Can someone tell me how the whole thing works? Some diagram of who calls what how?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

My guess is that they actually want you to open 5060 THROUGH 5070. I'm not familiar with the other block.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

No, they seem to require UDP 5060 and 5070 for SIP, and ports starting from UDP 8000 for RTP connections (by default, 8000-8020 for ten extensions.)

But regarless of the number of ports, I'm in the dark when it comes to the client-server registration, followed by how clients talk to each other, who calls who, etc.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

I found this relating to Axon specifically

formatting link
Also, you might want to poke around
formatting link
for general info.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Will do. I had already read that article on the Axon forum, but it doesn't explain how the ports are used (eg. how are the RTP ports used : at random? etc.). I'll go see if I can find more on the second site. Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.