SIP client setup for callcentric, callwithus, and voicestick

Hello,

Hope this is the right forum, if not please advise.

I own a ZyXel P-660R-ELNK DSL modem connected to a Netgear WGR615V unlocked router. After some fiddling, I managed to make the whole thing work with Callcentric a few months ago, and have been quite happy since. The original settings that I believe are salient were:

ZyXel ===== RIP direction: both RIP version: RIP-2B NAT mode: SUA only SIP ALG: enabled UPnP: disabled Security, filtering etc.: no special measures taken

Netgear ======= SIP proxy: callcentric.com SIP control port: 5060 SIP local port: 5060 SIP message TOS Value: 68 hex Starting RTP Port: 16384 RTP Data TOS Value: b8 hex Use Outbound SIP proxy: yes Outbound SIP proxy address: callcentric.com Outbound SIP proxy port: 5060 VAD: no STUN: no Register expire time: 30 sec Registration head start time: 0 sec DNS server: yes Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222 Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

It all works fine. Now, yesterday I found out that callwithus.com has better rates for my calling patterns, so I signed up. My new settings were:

ZyXel ===== unchanged

Netgear ======= As per

formatting link
The main change from Callcentric was the use of STUN. I tried my account a number of times (with rebooting the router and the modem, the works), no avail. I wrote CallWithUs' support and they said they receive no registration attempts from my account.

I hypothesized that the use of STUN somehow does not go well with the modem. Could that be the case? To confirm that, I also signed up with voicestick.com. They don't use STUN. They also are very shy about publishing their SIP client configuration. I fished one from this forum, which looks like this:

ZyXel ===== unchanged

Netgear ======= SIP proxy: 206.165.50.116 SIP control port: 5060 SIP local port: 5060 SIP message TOS Value: 68 hex Starting RTP Port: 16384 RTP Data TOS Value: b8 hex Use Outbound SIP proxy: yes Outbound SIP proxy address: 206.165.50.116 Outbound SIP proxy port: 5060 VAD: no STUN: no Register expire time: 30 sec Registration head start time: 0 sec DNS server: yes Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222 Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

However, that didn't work either! So now I'm back to my Callcentric setup which again works, and I can't understand how neither of the others work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andrei

Reply to
Andrei Alexandrescu (See Websi
Loading thread data ...

I think, your best bet is to try both the services which did not work with YATE Client (either QT4 or GTK2 version, see

formatting link
Run this soft-phone from command prompt or a xterm in a verbose/bebug mode and figure out the problem by looking at the messages.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Balwinder S Dheeman

Thanks Balwinder, this software looks quite what the doctor prescribed; my router has no debugging ability. Incidentally I'm originally Romanian :o).

Andrei

Reply to
Andrei Alexandrescu (See Websi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.