SIP Authentication methods available?

I have an AS-5300 used by several SIP phones (mostly through Asterisk) to dial from VoIP-land to POTS-land. My current "authentication" method is rather draconian, poor and inflexible: I just played with the routing tables to make sure that the only phones that can have IP connectivity with the voice gateway are those in certain subnets.

Now, I would like to move up to something that provides better granularity. I understand that Radius is an option? There is also an md5 digest authentication method which may or may not be supported by the Cisco gateway?

I am guessing that another (very inefficient) solution would be to set the 'canreinvite=no' option in Asterisk, thereby forcing it to be in the middle of all calls. That would work, right? This solution really sucks.

Can somebody knowledgeable discuss and/or point to some documentation on this topic?

TIA,

-Ramon F Herrera

ps: my phones are Linksys/Sipura. Tips on configuring them for authenticated calls are most welcome.

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

Most Cisco gateway can support MD5 digest authentication. If you have a MS-windows platform, maybe you can try miniSipServer. It is also support this authentication and very easy to use.

Reply to
Hongtian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.