Question on MagicJack

Question on MagicJack

My question is Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ? Does the laptop have to be on for this service to work ?

If this is so, then this is a problem. That means if my laptop is not on, I will miss calls

Currently I have Comcast cable Internet and telephone service. I have a wireless router for my laptop: internet.

Pls let me know as I am ignorant how MagicJack works.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, anna

Reply to
annabaum100
Loading thread data ...

It connects to an active USB port on your PC - desk or lap top, so yes the machine has to be on and actively connected to the internet for the calls to work in and outbound.

It also requires a certain amount of bandwidth to work effectively so you need low-end DSL at the least. A dial-up connection may not be adequate regardless of what they may say.

I think the concept is more that of a second phone line.

For people that may have limited resources, they may have DSL connections (or even broadband) but not an expensive telephone package. MagicJack and other VOIP services would allow one to have a low-cost local telephone service for local, incoming, and emergency calls, then use the VOIP line for long-distance needs.

The idea is also that since it can plug in to just about any USB port on any computer, you can take it with you on the road. For some people this is adequate for communications with home or an office while still maintaining a local telephone number.

I have a VOIP software solution I can use as a back-up phone if my regular one is not working but I still have internet, or if the line is tied up by a family member.

Keep in mind that many VOIP systems do not interact with local 911 services. You will need to check with the manufacturer if that is the case if you plan on using this as a primary phone.

In my city, the police dispatch center created a standard telephone number at the station in our city that trunks in to their direct 911 dispatch center. This allows people in my city to use VOIP phones and cell phones to be assured of reaching the police and fire in OUR city rather than a regional 911 dispatch center where most cell or VOIP phones wind up. Rather than dial 911 we use this standard 11 digit number you can program in and label it 911. Not all cities do this however.

Reply to
Tin Man Alley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.