phone number mandatory with DSL? what's the point in offering VOIP ?

Good day ladies, gentlemen,

I'm in Canada and I'm connected using DSL from AEI.ca. The physical line is Bell Canada.

Tell me if I still must have the Bell account if I want to use my actual DSL provider for Voip services?

If I still have to pay Bell Canada ... then what's the point in offering VOIP ??????

Is VOIP with DSL a non-sense?

I have 2 choices :

1. Switch to Cable Modem (much more $$$ ... about 15$ more per month)
  2. Just forget VOIP

I don't mind having some fees for using the physical BELL cables ... But I'd rather have the choice for my Internet and phone providers...

Thanks SLY

Reply to
Test
Loading thread data ...

FWIK, a DSL line IS a phone line (x2) so you have to have a phone number.

Sure looks like it. The "phone" part is however pretty cheap if you don't use it to place calls other than 911...Does Canada have 911? E911?

flat rate? features? voice mail? free LD?

No, it's offered in the US also.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

"Test" wrote in news:421b72ad_3@aeinews.:

Cheaper (or unlimited) LD, probably more features or cheaper features such as Caller ID, VoiceMail, etc. Maybe free in-network calling (i.e. if you call between 2 VoIP phones, the call maybe free).

So if you're a heavy phone user, VoIP should be cheaper.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

No you don't: DSL data and voice traffic only share the last mile of twisted pair. The telefon number has nothing to do with it: it's only used by the telephone exchange AFTER the two types of traffic have been split. The real issue is that the old telcos are worried of going to lose revenues to VoIP, and are trying to shove down the subscribers' throats contracts for voice traffic as well. Here is where telecom regulators should prove to have balls, if they haven't sold them to the telcos...

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Enzo Michelangeli wrote: Here is where telecom regulators

Um, sorry dude. They sold the family jewels to the bells YEARS ago.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.