Net2phone over dialup

Tried to use Net2phone over a dialup modem and the delay was very long

2 to 7 seconds this was cross town to a broadband modem. 56k modem connects at anywhere from 31k to 40k but I know the unlink speed is much less. Question is if I force the modem to connect at a lower speed will I get more speed for the uplink ? And what should I try ? My guess is 19,200 but I'am not sure.
Reply to
stanley_reynolds
Loading thread data ...

From what I've tried so far only Skype's quality did not come down significantly over dial-up, and that is not guranteed, either. A lot depends on the voice compression and the actual architecture you are using: client-to-server for Net2phone (and other "traditional" VoIP providers) and peer-to-peer for Skype.

I don't recall the actual bandwidth Net2Phone requires for their VoiceLine service, but it is higher than that of a 56K modem.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Babble also claimed it works on dial up, yes it will connect and NO you can't hold a conversation ! Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Set the modem to computer baud rate to 115.2K, 230.4K, or higher. Make sure your modem compression settings are turned on. Shut off any encryption. Shut off PPP (software compression) compression. (see networking/type of dialup connection settings).

(The last two items add significant variability to the dial up connection latency.)

Reply to
Tim Keating

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.