"Microsoft will redefine the industry"

Microsoft's Office Communication Server changing the face of VoIP.

"Microsoft will be a significant force in this market"

"Microsoft will redefine the industry"

...and last, but not least:

'[OCS] is meant to be part of an ecosystem that includes Exchange, SharePoint and Dynamics, where communications become as important to your organization as the Internet did".

formatting link

The above crystal ball predictions are brought to you by the Yankee Group, the same that introduced Laura DiDildo to the world of technology, and vice versa.

-Ramon F Herrera

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

Well, my first reaction would be this would be more of a Skype-killer than anything else.

According to

formatting link
they are planning to support IP phones, though, as well as headsets.

So I'm sure my first reaction isn't the whole story of what Microsoft is trying to do, much less whether they'll succeed...

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Gates Launches Microsoft VoIP Portfolio, Predicts Demise of PBX

formatting link
)

Office Communications server raises many important questions with VOIP. The first question is whether or not softswitch (IE IP PBX) will scale for large enterprises. Is the x86 Windows platform secure enough. In order to scale either more processors are needed or processor boards that can take the off load the voice processing. The other factor is that larger enterprises will probably need to cluster to avoid a single point of failure. The other unknown is if Windows is secure enough. I just imagine someone hijacking a Windows box and running up all all sorts of toll charges.

Then there is the issue of purchasing additional licenses when Asterisk is available for free. Asterisk is a soft switch, but one can run it on a embedded box. The other factor is that since Asterisk runs on Linux you can run SE Linux and disable the unneeded functions.

The other challenge is softphone security.

In the end I think we see smaller MS shops as the primary market.

Reply to
rshimizu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.