Looking into VoIP System

Hello,

Currently all the phones in my network are Cisco 7940. We get our phone service through our ISP who outsources it to a company about 5 hours from here. My company asked me to look into purchasing the entire back end of the system so that we can administer everything ourselves. I realize that this means purchasing alot of equipment. Can someone give me a place to start looking, or a suggestion as to what to buy? We have about 50 users, about a quarter of which are remote. I need to be able to hook everyone into our phone system. I have VPN connections setup for our remote users now.

Thanks for all you help.

Joe

Reply to
zylinius1983
Loading thread data ...

Take a look at Shoretel. I think you be quite pleased. As far as administration goes, I'm a Windows/Exchange admin and I don't like phone systems at all. But this thing is a breeze and I love it.

Check it out.

Reply to
Skorkles

Cisco supports 2 central IP PBX implementations - on a set of servers, or on a cisco router. Severs are usually for big deployments, and router platform for smaller ones

you might need further servers for voicemail and other more complex services, but this is pretty much standard IP telephony.

50 phones is well within the Call Manager Express capability on a router, but you would need to check whether the functions you already use are all supported.

if you havent done it before find a reseller since they can help set it up and train you on it.

Reply to
stephen

I like the suggestions for Shoretell (it just works...) and Cisco (you just gotta work it) but if you want to do a free proof of concept get Asterisk. it's quick and easy and supports Cisco phones and voicemail, IVR, etc. oh, and did I mention it supports Cisco phones?

my guess is that once management sees what it takes to manage the back end they'll go back to off site management (as long as it's cheap enough). and if the asterisk solution works you're done.

good luck

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
murray

I've decided to go with either Cisco, or Shoretel. Both systems seem to have alot of features. Can anyone give me a site that does a Good comparison of the two? So far all the ones i've read have a note at the end that someone forgot to set something up, which means that the systems aren't really a good comparison at all.

Thanks

Reply to
Joe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.