How much CPU does Asterisk need?

I currently have a couple of inbound VoIP numbers from Voxbone terminating on a voip phone on my desk. It works fine, but if I'm not here, there's no voicemail, there's no way to divert the calls to my cell phone, etc. So I figure I can run Asterisk on an old PC and do all that.

For a low end application like this, never more than one or two calls active at once, how much of a PC do I need? I have an old 200 MHz Pentium which I've been using as a BSD router. Will that be adequate, or do I need something faster?

R's, John

Reply to
John L
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I recommend that You use something with more power. Some P II or P III (or some old Duron) will be more than enough (128 or 256 MB RAM, CPU 533 MHz or more) Basically, it depends on lot of things like codecs You're using, do You have transcoding, IVR, voicemail system, GUI,databases, termination cards, ... BR

Marko

Reply to
C:\Marko

You are wrong, but thanks for trying.

Reply to
Halle93659

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.