Hearing Own Voice in Handset on IP Phone

I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are talking. But not too strong.

Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.) Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user says that did not fix the problem.)

Reply to
TexasMirty
Loading thread data ...

Sidetone

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

As far as VoIP is concerned, sidetone is always generated by the handset, such as the OP's 7940G. If sidetone is missing, odds are the phone is configured wrong or buggy.

I'm not sure where sidetone comes from in POTS equipment.

S
Reply to
Stephen Sprunk

In POTS equipment it's part of the hybrid device in the phone.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

In old sets you heard your own voice by default. In electronic sets you often do not hear your own voice - it is squelched so you can better hear the other part, especially if you are on a speaker phone!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Sidetone is set in the Phone load - what version phone load are you using?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
chrisharri

Our phone load for the 7940G is P00307020300

Firmware: Version 7.2(3.0) Boot Load ID PC0303010200 App Load ID P00307020300

Files in the flash are:

tftp-server flash:P00307020300.loads tftp-server flash:P00307020300.bin tftp-server flash:P00307020300.sb2 tftp-server flash:P00307020300.sbn

Config: telephony-service load 7960-7940 P0030702030

CME: Operating System: Cisco Internetwork Operating System. Cisco IOS (tm) C2800NM Cisco IOS Software: C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M Software Version: 12.3(11)T10 / CME 3.2

Do you advise a downgrade or upgrade to the firmware? (We orig> Sidetone is set in the Phone load - what version phone load are you > using?

>
Reply to
TexasMirty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.