[Fwd: Steve Bass [Quick & Easy Free Internet Calls - 07/19/2006]]

A real skype competitor ?

I tried the free trial, and the speech quality landline-IP-landline heer in France was better than skype's

If you use an e-mail "whitelist" system or if your ISP uses such a filter, in order to insure that you receive your PC World newsletters you may find it necessary to add them to your "whitelist." For information about how to do that, please consult our "How to Whitelist" tips:

formatting link
===================================================================== Steve Bass's Tips and Tweaks July 19th, 2006 proudly presented by PC World Technology Advice You Can Trust
formatting link
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= PC World columnist Steve Bass writes weekly commentary on the technology products he loves, the strategies for getting the most out of them, and the gotchas that can cause computing misery. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-= PCWorld's Digital Duo Watch Digital Duo episodes on the web. Get all the reviews on the hotest new products direct from the experts. Digital Cameras, PDA's, Digital MP3 players & more!
formatting link
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= July 19th, 2006

• This week: Quick & Easy Free Internet Calls Adios, Skype. I'm using Jajah to make free long-distance calls over the Internet using my old-fashioned landline and trusty old phone. That's right: no headset or mike, no software, and definitely no hassle. And I'm loving it.

A Quick How-To

Here's the quick and dirty:

1. Register with Jajah. It's free and all you do is give them the number for any of your landlines and, if you want, your cell phone. Get the details here:
    formatting link

1. Any time you want to make a call, open your browser, go to Jajah's home page, and log in. Fill out the "My Friend's Phone Number" section and click the aptly named Call button.

2. Your landline phone rings. Pick it up and you'll hear Jajah announce that it's calling your buddy's number, then you're connected.

1. Talk. If your buddy is registered with Jajah, it's a free call; otherwise, it's 2.5 cents per minute in U.S. and Canada. International calls are slightly more expensive. Here are the details:
    formatting link

2. Try it: Before you register, the first 5 minutes are free. Even after registering, you can use Jajah without paying: You start off with a credit of .

1. There's no contract or fee--just pay for the calls you make.

2. There's no muss, fuss, or hassle because there's nothing to download or install. You don't need a headset, a microphone, or any extra equipment.

1. You can use smart Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Firefox plug-ins to call right from those apps.

Here's the Outlook plug-in:

formatting link

And here's one for Firefox:

formatting link

Dig This: Maybe you've heard of a "summer halo." How about a "fire rainbow" or a "circumhorizon arc"? You need to brush up on your science. Here's a site with a gorgeous picture and a good explanation [thanks to Steven H.]:

formatting link

If you think that's a doctored image, you're wrong. And the Urban Legends site provides the proof:

formatting link

Why I Love Jajah

I think this is just the coolest way there is to make long-distance calls. About the only disadvantage is that you need access to a PC and Web browser to make the call. When I'm traveling, I use my cell phone and notebook from, say, the hotel room or a wireless connection at the airport. (I know what you're thinking: What about an unlimited calling plan for my cell phone? Jajah is perfect for me because I'm so cheap, I still pay by the minute.)

If you want to get fancy (and I know you do), you can schedule calls in advance:

formatting link

I recently mentioned Jajah to Gavin B., a reader from Toronto. Here's what he said: "I'm in Canada (not a complaint, just a fact) and my daughter lives in Australia. I can talk to her for 2 1/2 cents US per minute--over four hours for $7 US! Astounding! Just last week I was paying roughly 10 cents per minute; thirty years ago I paid $7 US per minute to call Australia."

Dig This: Think of a number, any number. Magic Gopher will indirectly guess what it is. Unbelievable. [Thanks, Joe D.]

formatting link
?

And if you don't like Magic Gopher's attitude, try the MilaDesign version. [Thanks, David B.]

formatting link

Don't spoil it for me by explaining how it's done, okay?

More About VoIP

I'm probably the last person at PC World to have discovered how to make free calls using Jajah. Here are two articles to read for more details about Jajah.

"Jajah Announces Free Telephone Service":

formatting link

"Jajah Enables Instant VoIP":

formatting link

There are other VoIP options, though. I know you've heard about Skype. I've been using it about a year now; read "Tips for Gabbing on the Net":

formatting link

For even more on Skype, read Jim Martin's "VoIP Alternatives":

formatting link

But did you know that AOL's also got a VoIP service? It does, and Net phone maven Aoife McEvoy reviewed it, along with Skype's recent update:

formatting link

Check out PC World's Info Center for more on Internet telephony and VoIP in general:

formatting link

Dig This: The sand falls. You redirect, fiddle, move, block, and modify its consistency. If you spend less than an hour on this site, you probably have a big deadline looming.

formatting link

BTW, if that doesn't work for you, try this link:

formatting link

If you get bored, try the Hell of Sand. The little characters are amusing, though they don't seem very happy--neither would you if sand kept falling on your head.

formatting link

BTW, if you're feeling lame, you can get instructions from Wikipedia:

formatting link

Write, Don't Call

I know you're itching to try Jajah by calling me. No problem. My direct line is... Ahahaha, you think I'm crazy? How about calling a long-lost relative or maybe your ex-spouse instead. While you're blabbing, mention my newsletter and slowly spell out the URL below. Better yet, just e-mail them the link--it's a lot quicker:

formatting link

Steve Bass writes the "Hassle-Free PC" column in PC World's print edition and is the author of "PC Annoyances, 2nd Edition: How to Fix the Most Annoying Things About Your Personal Computer," available from O'Reilly:

formatting link

If he's not on the phone using Jajah, he's checking e-mail. Send him a message at: snipped-for-privacy@pcworld.com

• Read Steve Bass's blog at:
    formatting link
  • See Steve Bass's previous columns at:
    formatting link
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-=-= Sponsored Downloads:
  • Registry First Aid: The best Registry Tool goes Version 5.0 * Award winning Registry First Aid is the people's choice when it comes to registry repair. It now has a new interface and even defrags the registry making it smaller and faster. You'll be amazed at how many problems have accumulated in your system when you run the first scan. Color-coded results make corrections much easier for the beginner. You see exactly what can be fixed with any possible problems marked as green. Helps eliminate system crashes, software lockups and slow loading programs due to incorrect Registry entries left over from software installations & uninstallations that went awry. Registry First Aid fixes these problems by removing references that are no longer needed. Hundreds of these files bog down the registry, slow your computer and cause software to lock up. PC World newsletters subscribers get an exclusive 10% discount on purchase.
  • More information:
    formatting link
  • MixCraft: An easy multitrack recording studio with effects * Mixcraft(tm) Recording Studio is multitrack audio software with effects--featuring Reverb, Delay, EQ, Compressor, Flanger and Chorus, as well as resonant filters and a powerful loop editor. The high performance, 32 bit sound engine supports broadcast quality WAV files and will even import compressed MP3s & WMA files. Use it to record your own music, your band or even a remix for a dance recital. You need only a computer and good multitrack recording software such as Mixcraft to create amazing sound! When you've finished your mix, publish it to the Internet as an MP3, WMA or RealAudio file. PC World newsletters subscribers get an exclusive .00 discount on purchase.
  • More information:
    formatting link
    Check other exclusive discount software offers for PC World newsletters subscribers.
    formatting link
    ===================================================================== Top News From PC World
  • Brand Name Influence for Consumer Electronics Losing Luster What's in a name? Less and less, according to a recent consumer survey.
    formatting link
  • Lotus Notes Finally Gets Full Linux Support Users of IBM's desktop collaboration software no longer must rely on Web clients or software emulation.
    formatting link
  • Check out all of today's news...
    formatting link
    =====================================================================
  • PC World Picks and Promotions *
  • The new PCWorld.com launches later this month! See a preview of the new and improved site and sign up to receive an alert before the launch.
    formatting link
  • Check out the PC World Business Directory Your source for business services from Advertising & Marketing to Web Design.
    formatting link
  • Find Wi-Fi Hot Spots Use this free PCWorld.com service to locate Wi-Fi hot spots around the corner or across the globe. Search by address, browse a map, check pricing, search the U.S. by Zip Code and more.
    formatting link
    ===================================================================== Editors' Picks New Free Files For cheapskates only: Search your IE favorites, search Outlook, check hyperlinks in Word, manage Firefox tabs, and track hackers.
    formatting link
    Lookout Drill deep into Outlook and find messages you know are around but can't find.
    formatting link
    VisualZone Find out who is trying to hack into your PC.
    formatting link
    Tab Mix Plus This add-on provides a raft of useful tab controls for Firefox fans.
    formatting link
    DzSoft Favorites Search Search your IE Favorites list with this easy to use tool.
    formatting link
    Word Hyperlink Checker Find and scotch dead hyperlinks in Word documents.
    formatting link
    For a full list of this week's Editors' Picks, go to:
    formatting link
  • Reviews *
  • 20 Great Low-Cost Utilities These tools can address a host of problems, ranging from cluttered hard disks to sluggish performance. Most are free or offer a free trial period.
    formatting link
    Check the latest prices on Utilities:
    formatting link
  • Top 10 Point-and-Shoot Cameras Easy to use, point-and-shoot cameras are a great choice for the casual photographer.
    formatting link
    Check the latest prices on Cameras:
    formatting link
  • Top 5 Ultraportable Laptops Ideal for the mobile professional, these notebooks stand out for their low weight and small footprint.
    formatting link
    Check the latest prices on Notebooks:
    formatting link
    See all Reviews:
    formatting link
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|advertisement|=-=-=-= PC WORLD 2006 Dads And Grads Gift Guide The one place to shop for your HIGH TECH DAD & GADGET SAVVY GRAD. PCWorld editors review this year's hottest gifts for your Dad or Grad! Read reviews, get specs and all the latest prices for Cell phones, PDAs, Desktops, Notebooks, Flat Screens and more! Visit the Dads & Grads Gift Guide!
    formatting link
    ?
    formatting link
  • PC World Magazine: Get 2 Risk-Free Issues plus 15 free Instant Power Guides and Bonus Windows Tips CD-ROM! Enter your trial order now to receive this exclusive Power Guide Collection from our award-winning editors. The collection includes Power Guide to Windows, PC Upgrades, A Trouble-Free PC, and more! Don't delay. Order today. [Note: Adobe Reader version 5 or newer is required to view Power Guides.]
    formatting link
    Or try digital PC World. Same great magazine in digital format!
    formatting link
  • Newsletter Subscriber Services * If you cannot "click" on the links in this newsletter, please try copying the complete URL and pasting it into your browser's address field.

--To unsubscribe from this or all newsletters, to sign up for new newsletters or to change your newsletters format from text-only to HTML, please go to:

formatting link

--To change the e-mail address to which we send your PC World e-mail newsletters, please visit our change of address form at:

formatting link

--PC World will occasionally send e-mail announcements of special deals, new products, and other third party product and service offers to newsletter subscribers and PCWorld.com Registered Members who have asked to receive them. To update your preferences and be excluded from these mailings, please go to:

formatting link

--For a list of all these subscriber services online, please go to:

formatting link

--PCWorld.com Privacy Policy:

formatting link
If you have questions or comments regarding PC World e-mail newsletter subscriptions, please contact: snipped-for-privacy@pcworld.com Interested in PC World RSS feeds? Please go to:
formatting link
PCWorld.com newsletters may contain links to sites on the Internet which are owned and operated by third parties. PC World Communications, Inc., is not responsible for the availability of, or the content located on or through any such third-party site.

2006 PC World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of PC World Communications, Inc., is prohibited. PC World is a registered trademark of International Data Group, Inc. All other trademarks used on PC World and PCWorld.com are the property of their respective owners. PC World Communications, Inc., 501 2nd St., San Francisco, CA 94107.
Reply to
F Thomas
Loading thread data ...

At twice the cost of SkypeOut (except that SkypeOut is free to North America thru the end of the year) or VoipJet? Such a deal!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I looked for calls from my PC to a landline in Europe when the called has not signed up to JaJah : 0,02? per minute & VAT = 0,022 ?/min This is the price of SkypeOut.

calls PC to landline when both sides are subscribers: free

From their website

phone calls. It applies to land line and mobile calls to and within: the United States; Canada; China; Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, and to landline calls to and within: Australia; UK; Germany; France, Italy and most other European nations.

In countries where free phone calls are not available, or if someone is calling a non-JAJAH member, calls are subject to JAJAH?s regular low rates.

Look first at the info, then criticise

The interesting aspect are

1/ that you can call to a standard fixed line for no cost if both sides are subscribers 2/ I have the impression that the voic quality is better. I have a 3 MB Adsl line and SkypeOut speech quality is so-so, for instance not for calls to an important client.

FT

Reply to
FTR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.