DNS service & D-Link DVG-1120M

My settings and question are at the bottom of this. I use AttCallvantage over Comcast Broadband.

I've received the following letter:

Dear Comcast Customer:

Comcast is focused on providing the best experience for all of our customers. We recently updated the domain name server ('DNS') components in our network to help ensure that we continue to deliver the high quality service you expect from Comcast.

Over the years you may have manually configured DNS settings for a variety of reasons. If so, it is important that your PC is configured for dynamic DNS communication. To help ensure that you do not lose your internet connection, we ask that you follow the directions outlined in the following FAQ?s: ... To prevent any loss of Internet connectivity in the future, please take the time to make these changes to your DNS settings. We ask that you make these changes by March 12, 2006 to prevent any disruption in your Internet service.

You can find answers to your service questions instantly at Comcast.net. If you still have questions, please email our Customer Service Representatives. Our knowledgeable Representatives are available 24/7 to promptly respond to your questions.

Sincerely, Comcast High-Speed Internet

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

The details depend on the device you are using as router, and the protocol used by the ISP to supply IP address and other parameters (default gateway, netmask, and, indeed, DNS servers addresses). I'm not familiar with either the D-Link DVG-1120M or Comcast, but I guess the latter uses DHCP, and most likely the DVG-1120M is already configured for using DHCP to get the other parameters: so, probably all you have to do is, as you say, leave the DNS fields blank not to override the address values obtained with DHCP.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Funny thing is that the D-Link will not accept "blank", only 0.0.0.0.

But yes, ATA and router and PC all use DHCP (daisy changed) but it is that ATA that is the connection to comcast.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

It worked! 0.0.0.0=>ATA save and reboot; pwr cycle router; release/renew on PC and voila, new DNS addresses!

In NE I'm seeing dns1: 68.87.71.226 - 10 hops (was 17!) dns2: 68.87.73.242 - 19 hops (was 13 when using 4.2.2.4/3)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.