dish box dialing out over Vonage

I have an older Motorola Vonage adapter. I finally got around to hooking up my 3 Dish boxes to the line. When I do the connection test, it shows OK. But when I try to do the dial out/update it continually fails.

Do I need a newer Vonage box?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Loading thread data ...

You are trying to get your Dish-boxes to dial out using VoiP?

You may have exceeded the capacity of the adapter with 3 units; try one at a time.

Does the Viop connector work AOK for voice?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The 3 boxes just sit on the line and only dial out. Normal phone calls are fine. When I monitor the line, sounds like I get modem from the distant end, when the box tries to communicate, things just start getting all goofy and the modem tones disappear (overly compressed?)

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Certain modems and certain FAX units will not work over VoiP because of the "compression" algorithms used in both units. You need to check with your VoiP provider for a list of the modems/fax that they support.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Soop:

try prefacing your dial string with *99.

If that doesn't do the trick, try your question on Vonage user forums

Later... Asswipe

Reply to
coolbreeze

I set the bandwidth saver to 90k and that seemed to do it. What does the

*99 do?

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

sets Vonage line for data transmission

Did it work???

Reply to
coolbreeze

I didnt try the *99 .... I tried to add it as a dial prefix in the 921 and the 921 wouldn't acccept a * as a digit. Upping to highest bandwidth did solve the prob tho.

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.