Discover VoIP devices in a network..

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a method to find all the VoIP devices in a network to monitor and manage them. I have searched the web for informations regarding this, but with very little success.

The only option that I have found is to discover a gatekeeper by sending a multicast message (gatekeeperRequest message) to 224.0.1.41. Is there similar ways for other devices like Call Server, IPPhone, Gateway, etc... Is there a way to get these information from the call server? At the moment, I am mainly focussing on Cisco devices. So, even a Cisco specific option would do.

Thanks & Regards, Stephen Regan.

Reply to
Stephen Regan
Loading thread data ...

I built a script to setup some Sipura devices. I certainly understand the desire to automate such things.

Do you control the network? For my system I just scanned the DHCP leases and picked out the Sipura devices. Doing something similar for Cisco devices should be fairly straightforward.

(For a large system you're probably using static leases, right? Can you just use that file?)

As far as managing them once you've found them, I don't know what's possible for Cisco. The Sipuras have an HTTP/HTML interface and I just used that.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Hi Kyler,

I find it a bit hard to get your point. Are you suggesting to get the lease information from dns server. I don't think the lease record will give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc). Moreover, what about software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i missing something here?

Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323) methods?

Thanks & Regards, Stephen Regan.

Reply to
Stephen Regan

If you know the type of devices, you can discover them on the network via MAC address. Any SNMP or network sniffer will capture those, and as all manufacturers have an assigned range, you can look up what they are then you can usually push configs to them.

Hal

Reply to
hal

Wow. That was one cool solution to find the vendor name. Thanks Hal.

Any such cooler solution to find the devices type ;-) also. Thanks & Regards, Stephen Regan.

Reply to
Stephen Regan

Yes.

You'll know the Ethernet manufacturer from the MAC address. For my Sipura devices that's quite helpful. If you have Cisco gear everywhere it's just a start.

Once you know the IP address, it's time to probe the machine. If it has an HTTP server, it's should be trivial to get versions, etc.

Probably. I'm not familiar with your devices.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Many of the Internet Services providers in India are in search for such VOIP Internet usage through devices - as its illegal as of today - without proper license. Many calling card companies are still doing it without proper license.

Yes, its still ILLEGAL to use VOIP deviecs without license in INDIA.

Reliance is sued for using VOIP to PSTN termination by BSNL for Rs.100,000 Crores.

Reply to
Sekhar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.