Dialing from U.S. to U.K. question - wrong city codes?

Sorry to have to post a stupid question, but some days are like that.

We have a Cisco 2851 CME connected to a Time-Warner-Telecom line.

I am able to place international calls to many countries, including Israel and France. But calls to the UK do not go through.

I called Time-Warner-Telecom for help, but they said that it was a problem with our router config and that no international calls would go through. Demonstrably incorrect. After hanging up with Time-Warner-Telecom support, I dialed Jerusalem and got through.

Does anyone have familiarity with dialing the UK from US? Please help! We are trying to reach a company in Bristol, England. Their number, as published on their website, is (01179) 290039

This is how we are dialing it from our phones in the U.S.:

011 + 44 + 117 + 290039

I reach a recording of "Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again. 2BJ." (Who or what is 2BJ?)

If I use the complete UK city code (01179), then I get the same recording. Also if I try calling with 0117 as the city code. Any suggestions?

Reply to
TexasMirty
Loading thread data ...

Thus spaketh snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

I've called the number here within the UK and it rings out. Also using my VoIP Stunt service which you have to dial internationally formatted (00 44 117 929 0039), it works fine.

(0117) 929 0039 is how the number should be displayed.

011 44 117 929 0039 is how it should be dialled from the USA.
Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Why are you omitting the last digit of the city code? You should be dialling it as:

011 44 1179 290039

Chris

Reply to
Chris Blunt

It did appear they were omitting a digit, but it's the first digit of the local number they are omitting, not the last digit of the city code, the company's website are incorrectly displaying their number.

It should be:

(0117) 929 0039 or internationally; +44 117 929 0039, as per my above post, dialled from the USA as 011 44 117 929 0039 and from most of the rest of the world as 00 44 117 929 0039

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
[snip]

It's not the last digit of the area (not city) code, it's the first digit of the local number.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Something is wrong with our phone gateway then. I am able to get through dialing 011 44 117 929 0039 from my cell phone, but not from our Cisco IP phones in the office.

We get a fast busy when dialing that number from the Cisco phones. The gateway is misinterpreting the number somehow.

Thank you.

Ivor J>

Reply to
TexasMirty

Update: Worked with Cisco and confirmed the problem was in the router config. The fix was to add this configuration to the voice port:

isdn map address ^011.* plan unknown type unknown

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TexasMirty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.