Converting cell-phone headset to computer headset

There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?

If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!

Please, no options that involve soldering!

THanks,

gordon

Reply to
logisticky
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

It DEFINITELY does not work.

It has something to do with the tip configuration on the cell-phone handset.

So a simple plug convert to a 2-line out to the mic and speaker jacs is a no-go should have made that clearer in original post.

This has been discussed on the net but the solutions all involve soldering and resistors and so forth. Was hoping someone sold a box ...

Reply to
logisticky

Have you tried a plug converter from Radio Shack?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

For goodness' sake! What does a computer headset of comparable (low) quality cost? Would anyone be able to market an adaptor box for that price?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Traveling with one of those lame call center looking headsets in your laptop bag isn't cool and you'll have a hard time picking up any chicks at the airport/internet cafe with that on. :) I've only found one place that sells something reasonable, haven't bought one yet myself, but will before I travel next time, basically it's a mobile phone style headset but with PC style connection jacks:

formatting link
They're in the UK but the total shipped to the us is ?4.95, which is about $9.00, not bad. You can forget about the part for "VAT" because if you live outside of the UK they won't charge it and I doubt the US customs henchmen will add any import tax at that low of a value.

If you do buy one I'm curious how long the lead is. The person who responded at babble.net when I asked apparently doesn't speak english well enough to understand: "How long is the cord on your babble-bud headset shown in your web store?".

Reply to
B.M. Wright

get a bluetooth headset. supposed both your mobile and notebook and mobile have bluetooth interfaces, you're set.

cheers heimo

Reply to
Heimo Hetl

This doesn't seem to be such an outrageous idea - maybe I've posted to the wrong group(s). The multimedia headsets are huge. I have to carry my cell headset either way.

The bluetooth idea below sounds like a good idea - for someone whose laptop has bluetooth ...

There MUST be someone out there who has sorted this out.

Reply to
logisticky

Sure we have. But we know how to use a soldering iron and you have precluded that solution. You could try one of the computer sound card newsgroups.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

I've seen some cheapo "universal-fit" cellphone earplugs that come with a plug adaptor for different brands of mobiles. Maybe you can use one of those if you leave out the adaptor?

cheers Heimo

Reply to
Heimo Hetl

There are different hands free units with different specifications. I have monstly played myself with hands free units made for Nokia cellular phones. At those hands free units, the headphone part is 32 ohm spaker element similar to ones used on normal headphones. This can be directly wired to line/headphone out of the soundcard directly. Because there is only one speaker, you cna wire it directly to only one audio channel (left or right). The microphone in the hands free unit is pretty normal electrt capsule that can be wired directly to PC soundcard microphone input (signal wire to tip and ring of 3.5 mm plug, ground to connector ground).

Maybe some day I have time to add some building details to

formatting link
project pages...

I don't kknow any such box. The reason why such box does not exist is that there are so many different cell phone hands free units that use different connectors and have different technical specifications... Different hands free units would need different conversion box.

I do not have any ready to build device to recommendation. Biltema

formatting link
sells one unit "MULTIMEDIAHUBI" that is designed for controlling audio volume to speakers, switching between headset and spakers etc.. Details at
formatting link
unit has a 2.5 mm jack which according the manual / print on the case would be for interfacing hands free unit... Good idea. THe sad fact is that it does seem to work with any hands-free unit or similar... I have tried several different models for this.

Soldering has never been a problem for me... And I have made this king of interfacing from component when Ihav had need for it.

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Checkout the skype site for more info:

formatting link
also see much discussion on those forums:
formatting link
Brett.

Reply to
Brett

see also:

formatting link
Brett.

Reply to
Brett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.