calling US 800 numbers from abroad via VoIP

Hello. I live in Taiwan and use Debian Linux. I want to call an 1-800 toll free US number, which of course is not toll free when calling from Taiwan. So how can I use this VoIP stuff to bridge the gap? I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever .deb Debian software package is needed. But then what IP address would I direct my traffic to to make the jump from the Internet into the Phone system?

My friend uses the Skype stuff, but all I want to do is make one or two calls to some 800 numbers, so don't want to subscribe to anything, pay any money, nor do I own a credit card.

Hmm, I suppose I should be cautious, as somebody might offer me a IP destination, and then tap my call.

Reply to
jidanni
Loading thread data ...

I think, SJPhone (a softphone) though proprietary with a free and, or paid FreeWorldDialup FWD account is what you are looking for.

Reply to
Balwinder S Dheeman

snipped-for-privacy@jidanni.org wrote in :

apt-get install ekiga

Start ekiga, see if it configured itself correctly and dial

snipped-for-privacy@voiper.ipkall.com

Found ages ago via

formatting link
Havent't tested it in a while.

Yes. Governments will tap the call anyway.

Koos

Reply to
Koos van den Hout

Thanks. I found all I needed was to install asterisk, and change # diff -r /tmp/original /etc/asterisk diff -r /tmp/original/extensions.conf /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

392a393

diff -r /tmp/original/modules.conf /etc/asterisk/modules.conf

53,54c53,54 < noload => chan_alsa.so < ;noload => chan_oss.so
Reply to
jidanni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.