Availabilty of 802.11b SIP Analog Telephone Adapter ?

You can buy a broadband SIP adapter even in a stationery store like Office Depot for around US$60.00 or so, which means the technology is not bleeding edge. Are there any similar devices to allow ordinary analog phones to be plugged into to it, that instead of using broadband (RJ14 connector) as the device's connector to the Internet it will operate over 802.11b to, say, a wireless base station or perhaps in ad-hoc mode? Obviously b is more than enough capacity since you only need about 8K of bandwidth and 11b will give you 10 megabits.

I'm not talking about a portable handset type phone, I'm talking about being able to plug ordinary $10 analog phones (like the kind you normally can plug into a RJ11 POTS wall socket) into a SIP adapter which uses 802.11b instead of broadband. Or it could be 802.11g, only I'm thinking an 802.11b adapter would be less expensive.

Paul Robinson paul (at) robinson-telephone.com

Reply to
paul
Loading thread data ...

Well, you could plug your old phone into a SIP ATA adapter, then plug that in to Ethernet port of WIFI 802.11x bridge. Personally I think it would be more convenient to get WIFI VoiP phone, though they are expensive at the moment, so I am waiting for the prices to drop... Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

The WiFi stuff is going to require electricity to run. By the time you deal with the AC adapter for such a device you'd probably be better off just putting an ATA at the central end of the POTS extension.

Reply to
wkearney99

I'm a little new here. What's an ATA?

I'm aware it requires electricity; that is not a problem.

The issue is this: If I place an SIP adapter in the person's house so they can hook up an ordinary POTS telephone to it, and say, I put a WIFI base port on a pole or pedestal on the street or in another building to connect their phone to the PSTN, I'm running a wireless service which is not subject to state regulation, and since it's IP telephony, meaning it's a service running on an Internet connection, under FCC regulations it is completely excluded from Federal regulation.

If I run a regular phone line to their house, it's a wired connection and I need a license to operate a CLEC from the Virginia Corporation Commission (Virginia's version of what, in most states, is called the PUC). I may also be subject to some FCC regulations.

So, by using an SIP box I solve two problems: how to connect the last mile cheaply, and how not to have to get a license as a telephone company from the Commonwealth of Virginia or follow any FCC regulations. I can just provide quality service without having to fight with state regulators who think their purpose in life is to protect Verizon from competitors.

Reply to
Paul Robinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.