Are FXO SIP gateways localized?

Hello

FXO SIP gateways can be ordered through the Net (eBay, etc.) but since they are meant to be connected to the POTS, they have to be localized for use in such and such country.

Does someone know this can be done in software, ie. I can just upload a new firmware to match the country where I need to use this gateway, or does it also require some hardware changes?

Has anybody ordered one from eBay, and used it successfully outside the US?

formatting link
Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

I believe the Sipuras (now from Linksys) work worldwide.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Thanks for the tip.

Has someone successfully ordered the 3102 in the US and used it in Europe?

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Vincent,

You might check with these folks

formatting link
appear to be a Sipura reseller in the UK. They list themselves as Cisco & MS certified, so hopefully they are knowledgeable.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Great, thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional or cause voice quality problems.

The other side of this, of course, is certification for each country, which is purely a legal matter, and can be very expensive and time-consuming to get.

If you are a corporate buyer or reseller, you better make sure you are doing all the proper paperwork. If you are an individual, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different countries.

That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is available for different countries in Europe.

Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :-)

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Vincent Delporte wrote: || On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:59:29 -0400, William P.N. Smith || wrote: ||| I'm not convinced that there are that many differences in line ||| characteristics that would make a universal solution non-functional ||| or cause voice quality problems. || || From what I read, there is enough difference that they do need to be || customized by country: impedence, call progress not being correctly || handled, caller ID not be picked up, etc. As a matter of fact, analog || modems had to be a bit reworked to work perfectly in different || countries. || || That's why I'm wary of buying a gateway that I'm not positive is || available for different countries in Europe. || || Any users from Europe in this newsgroup? :-)

Yep.

All regionalization is done by accessing the device's admin pages via a browser (Linksys/Sipura).

Have a look at

formatting link
- a UK based supplier of (Linksys/Sipura) VoIP kit.

Also, lots of discussion in the voxilla forum

formatting link

Reply to
Jono

Cool. I was wondering if it was just software, or they also had to be reworked at the hardware level. Thanks!

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.