Any advantage to using FWD and Asterisk?

I answer incoming phone calls for a client located in NY, I'm in California. If a caller desires to talk to NY, How would be the best method to so.

1. Have NY register on my Asterisk Server and handle the call directly
  2. Have NY register on FWD and have Asterisk send calls to NY using another FWD extension from my location.

I'm mainly trying to conserve bandwidth (we have a full T1, NY has DSL at 128 K). But more importantly create reliable connections to NY. Also, FWD offers some nice features I wouldn't have to manage on my server if they were in the middle.

Any ideas on this would be helpful

Bart

Reply to
Bart Fisher
Loading thread data ...

1. Setup asterisk and the phones to be able to do SIP reinvites. Then transfer the call's data stream to NY if the caller wants to talk to NY directly.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Thanks Wolfgang - I finally got a chance to read about how 'canreinvite' works.

If I understand correctly, it will allow asterisk to setup connections enabling the endpoints to talk directly, bypassing asterisk resources.

The part that wasn't clear is, would asterisk still be able to create a CDR for a total call duration or for only the duration asterisk was involved in the call?

Bart

Reply to
Bart Fisher

You're welcome. Asterisk still stays in the loop as far as the SIP signaling goes. SIP does the call setup / tear-down. The only thing that goes direct is the voice RTP data. So yes, the CDR is still for the whole call.

BTW. With reinvites you can transfer the call back and forth as many times as you want and the data still gets sent directly with no "looped" data stream.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.