Again: Virtual Modem for VoIP

Question: Can my computer use VoIP to connect to a modem?

So besides arguing over whether or not this is a good idea. Does anyone have a good idea to whether this is possible or not?

I want to use it to connect from a computer to several modems at once.

I have to connect to several relative stupid(*) measurment boxes. They have a 9600 modem and sometimes tha data can take a couple of hours to download. I want to be able to do this without using several modems and telephone lines.

Or does anyone have a better idea?

(*)They cannot change in anyway.

Reply to
Stumproot
Loading thread data ...

Sure you can, BUT... ask your VoIP provider if their compression algorithms will work with your particular modem.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.

My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that you have to tell them >Stumproot wrote:

Reply to
Cloaked

Not according to what I have heard: there are "some brands" of FAX that will not work (or not work well) with certain ATA (analog/home telephone adapters).

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Fair enough. Then they are just making sure that you get equipment that will work with the FAX.

I thought there might be some sort of QoS c>Cloaked wrote:

Reply to
cloaked

If you're going to connect to remote devices that are all on modems then you're not going to be able to escape using multiple phone lines. That is, if the remote device is only connected via a POTS line then VOIP isn't going to help.

If the remote devices have IP available then there's no need for VOIP at all. Just use a serial-to-ethernet device.

For some reason you've latched onto the idea of misusing modems, dsp chips and VOIP for this purporse. None of your MANY explanations have ever really justified the hassles you keep proposing.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.