2-FXS VoIP adapter versus 2-port FXO VoIP adapter?

I called one of the local VoIP provider for VoIP adapter, they offered two types: 1) 2-FXS port VoIP adapter and 2) 2-FXO port VoIp adapter, I need to connect just one regualar phone for phone services, which one I have to take, any difference between FXO Vs FXS ports, I think bith are RJ-11 ports to conect any regulat POTS phone right, any idea, thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

FXS and FXO are things on the two ends of the phone cord, S for Station and O for central Office. A phone is a station, so if you want it to work, the other end of the cord better be an FXO.

Reply to
John L

Actually, if he wants to connect a phone to a router/gateway, he'll do that with the FXS ports. FXO would be for inbound/outbound calling via analog lines/trunks to and from the CO.

Reply to
fugettaboutit

And just to make it even more confusing the home VOIP adapters are sometimes (incorrectly) labeled with the names of the interface that they are meant to connect to. When you look at the Sipura marketing material they refer to the various units as having either "2 FXS's" for the two phone version or "1 FXS, 1 FXO" for the version that splices between your CO and your phone. The FXO interface they are referring to is clearly an interface that is meant to *connect* *to* an FXO (but obviously is an FXS itself).

I'm not sure how the average person is expected to piece that alphabet soup all together.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Sure -- But you have to realize that this is pretty standard for PC grade hardware. For many moons parallel ports had little "printer" icons, PS/2 ports have little keyboard and mice icons, modems have a jack where you connect the line-in, and one for the phone.

Home VoIP adapters are targeted towards that market, rather then the more technical market that would want to know what a jack IS rather then what it connects to.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Reply to
gery

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.