ViaVideo and Netmeeting

Actually, no there isn't.

To that point, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Why not use the ViaVideo software or (now) the PVX software. It's made to work with the ViaVideo.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady
Loading thread data ...

Is it possible to use Polycom's ViaVideo with Netmeeting ?

Netmeeting seems not to recognize it as an input device.

Thanks

Reply to
Nio ®

"NetSteady" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Because I want to call Netmeeting user with a sort of high-quality webcamera.

I have tried with ViaVideo software but it seems not working.

Tks

Reply to
Nio ®

Nio,

I do not think that the camera in the Via Video is all that great anyway. The main advantage to the Via Video is that it has compression hardware in the camera unit which reduces the demand on the CPU of your PC. As PCs get more powerful and cheaper this will be less important.

For a high quality web camera take a look at the Creative Labs WebCam Live! Ultra. It uses a CCD instead of CMOS for better picture quality plus it comes with a nice headset for better audio quality.

I think it runs just under $100 US.

Here is a link:

formatting link
Let us know how you make out.

Marc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nio ® wrote:

Reply to
marc cooper

Actually,

I've found that the free version of PVX works pretty well. Additionally, the "pay" version (for about $200) has the H.264 algorith built in, and allows you to make lower bandwidth video calls.

The "pay" version of PVX actually is made for use with a lot of different USB cameras. As such, it is no longer proprietary.

FYI Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

The free version allows you to use some of the newer features of PVX with the Polycom ViaVideo. However, the pay version of PVX ($149) allows you to use all of the newer features. In addition, I'm not sure if you've ever realized this, but PVX/ViaVideo uses Netmeeting as it's backend, and often adds functionality.

For instance, there is a new feature with PVX that allows you to show your desktop in real time, not whiteboarding. This gives a better ability to do presentations.

HTH Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

"marc cooper" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net...

formatting link

Ok, I will try it just for my curiousity, but I think ViaVideo looks more as a professional tool, with full screen 30 fps image capability, noise reduction and black circuit compensation.

The main problem with that seems to be PVX software that, as usual with Polycom, is a proprietary application with no interchange possibilities with the more wide used Netmeeting..

One solution to have better professional quality is to use a camera as Sony EZD1, but it requires an acquisition board, limiting its use with laptops.

Reply to
Nio ®

"NetSteady" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

---------------------------------------------- Do you mean thet PVX, in bundle version with ViaVideo or in the "pay" version as you say, works with Netmeeting ?

In the sense that you can call in video and in voice a Netmeeting Pc ?

Thanks for your patience.

Reply to
Nio ®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.