Help needed: Recording fails, from nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 card S-Video port to Panasonic consumer VCR

Help needed: Recording fails, from nVidea GeForce4 Ti4200 card S-Video port to Panasonic consumer VCR

Have nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X cards in several PCs, and they all do the same thing. I've configured them to 'clone' the video out to both the VGA and the S-Video port.

When I connect by S-video cable to a Panasonic VCR, the VCR's monitor (and also a video projector) show the signal from the PC when idle or recording. However, when a recording from the video card is played back, the VCR blanks, with nothing seen or heard. Doesn't matter what I'm recording; even a static Windows desktop does the same thing.

Stepping down from 1024x768 to 800-x600 and 640x480 does not fix the problem. The video card, BTW, is set to 60Hz, and provides both DVI-I and VGA as well as S-Video outputs. The DVI-I is not connected, and disconnecting the VGA does not solve the problem.

I believe the sync of the video signal from the nVidia card is not quite good enough for our consumer VCRs. Is there a program which adjusts the sync or otherwises fixzes the signal so a consumer grade VCR can record it?

This is intended to record an IE-delivered WebEx net videoconference feed Thursday AM from DC. I have not been able to find a streaming video recorder I could use to capture the content, but that would be a good alternative, if such a thing exists for a 2.4GHz Windows 2000 PC.

So:

1. Can I fix up the video card with software so it delivers video good enough to record and play back without blanking? Yes, it won't be as sharp as a PC monitor, but we can live with that.

1. Is there a streaming video recorder app I can run on Win2k (or XP, if we have to) to record the WebEx content, audio and video, to HD? Since WebEx has their own (spendy, of course) proprietary recording system which locks you into their proprietary player, I sure would like to find a standards-based alternative.

My deadline to make this all work is Thursday 0930 PT, which does not give me much time for finding hardware.

Thank you kindly, all, for your assistance with this last minute burden.

-- John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

Reply to
John Bartley K7AAY telcom admi
Loading thread data ...

Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The 4200Ti does not have this feature.

Reply to
DaveW

Thank you.

Recommendations for cards which will get the done would be appreciated.

If you can, please provide examples in categories:

1 cheap 2 better and 3 sky's-the-limit budgets.

And, again, thank you.

-- John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

Reply to

alternative.

together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

Reply to
inwiththenew

'DaveW' wrote: | Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The

4200Ti | does not have this feature. _____ Your 'Wrong' is wrong.

To record TO a computer FROM a video source some type of capture device/software is needed. That is NOT what the original poster asks about. The question is how to record the output of a computer system TO a VCR. That is an entirely different function.

Phil Weldon

Reply to
Phil Weldon

Try for more advice, as 'DaveW' has it wrong. A video CAPTURE card has nothing to do with your task, what you need (as you indicate) is a card with a standard signal that matches your VCR (NTSC most likely.) If everything is working, a VCR should record properly with a signal that a modern TV monitor displays properly.

The S-Video output, IF it is an output, and IF it is configured for the same standard as your VCR (NTSC for NTSC, PAL for PAL), then the recording should work. Check the Ti 4200 specifications and check the cables; also check the VCR with a known good S-Video signal.

First step, read the Ti 4200 manual carefully, then try the manufacturer's website.

Phil Weldon

"John Bartley K7AAY telcom adm>

Reply to
Phil Weldon

Unless the card manufacturer has imposed Macrovision or some other DRM/copy protection scheme.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.